ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taking advantage of Custom Presets

Taking advantage of Custom Presets

What is a Preset

A preset is just a file that records the current tool size and tool settings (from the Settings Panel) of any Artrage tool so that they are quickly accessible for future use. Think of a preset as a custom brush.

In the real art world we don't use just one size/type of brush. We will likely purchase many different sized brushes and even brushes made from different materials (eg/ camel, sable etc). If we use pencil we tend to have a range of pencil grades; anywhere from 6B to 6H. When using chalk pastel we may have large and mini's or may shave a wedge off with a knife to use for tight highlights.

In Artrage we can adjust our settings to get the size/settings for a brush or tool 'just right', however as soon as we change them, the previous settings we had are lost and have to be redone if we want to access that former brush/tool again. This is where a Preset becomes invaluable. A preset is the way that in the virtual world we can set up our favourite brushes permanently for quick access while painting.

Artrage ships with many presets already made from different settings and sizes. If you open up your Settings Panel and then click a few different presets (in the Presets Panel), you can observe how the preset file has recorded these settings. You can also see the size change in the Tool Palette size preview.

The following image shows a comparison of the Knife Preset for 'Blurred Frosting' and the Knife Preset for 'Hard Out Smear'
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Juz; 04-03-2010 at 01:02 PM.
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)

While Artrage ships with a pretty extensive range of presets, chances are that at some stage we will want to create our own unique ones.

We can base our settings on an existing Artrage preset e.g. I might like the 'Thin and Dry' Oil brush preset, but want the paint to last longer on the brush and want a range of sizes available for the brush.

Alternatively we can just pick up a tool, play with the Settings Panel until we get something we like and then save those brush/tool settings as a preset.

Note: Always name your presets meaningfully (i.e. give them names that are descriptive of the brush functionality) so that you know exactly what the brush/tool is/does when you go to use it in the future e.g. Soft Graphite Pencil, Big Blurry Blender.

Making a Custom Oil Brush Preset

Choose the Oil brush from your Tool Palette and open the Settings Panel.
    In the Settings Panel plug in the following values:-

Pressure=50%
    Thinners=50%
    Loading=100%
    Insta-Dry=Off
    Auto Clean=On
    Square Head=Off

In the Tool Palette Click the size area and set the brush size to 25%

Your Settings Panel and Tool Palette should now look like the following image
    Last edited by Juz; 04-03-2010 at 01:04 PM.

Paint some strokes to try out the brush.

With these settings our Brush is like a Small Acrylic or Gouache brush that never runs out of paint.

Creating the Preset

Now that we've set up a brush in our Settings Panel, its time to make it into a Preset.
    Open the Preset Panel and Click 'New Preset'
    The New Preset Dialog appears

Here we can name our Preset file. I have prefaced my preset file name with the size of the brush (025%). By placing a numeral at the start, if I later decide to make a 50% sized version of the same brush they will be stacked together in the preset palette. I could have put something like s.25 (for size 25) to achieve the same thing. It's not essential to have a naming convention like this but it can save you time looking for brushes later when you have created lots.
    Last edited by Juz; 04-03-2010 at 01:05 PM.

Creating a New Icon for our Preset.

When you have created a lot of brushes it can be difficult to spot the one you're looking to use if they all have the same generic 'Oil Brush' icon.

For this reason Artrage gives us the ability to either make or load a custom icon for our brush preset.
    Click on the Brush Icon picture and choose 'Sample Preview Image', a small Icon Capture window appears.

Position the window over some brush strokes that represent your brush by clicking and dragging on the Menu Bar. Alt-clicking (option-click on Mac) the menu bar will allow you to rotate this Icon capture window and CTRL-clicking (Command-click on Mac) will allow you to scale it. When you are happy with it click the Tick Button.

NOTE: When using ALT or Option to Rotate the Icon Maker, holding down SHIFT as well will confine the Rotate to 15 increments.

Making Custom Groups for Preset Collections

Notice that the current Group for Brushes is 'Oil Brush'.
    It would make more sense to store our new Gouache Brush in a Gouache Brush Group.

We can create a new Gouache Brush group category by using the Drop down Menu on either the Presets Panel or by using the Drop down Menu on the New Preset dialog.

Use the one on the Preset Panel when you already know what your category will be and would like to start creating brushes in that category. Use the one on the New Preset dialog when you've created a brush first and need a new category to store it in.

Because I created my brush first I'm going to use the Drop Down Menu on the New Preset dialog to create my new brush category.

From the Drop Down Menu choose 'Add Preset Group'
    Name the new Group category
    Click OK.
    Last edited by Juz; 04-03-2010 at 01:11 PM.

Now my new preset will be stored in the Gouache Brushes Group.

You can quickly and easily switch between the Brush Groups that you create by clicking on the Group Button in either the New Preset dialog or in the Preset Panel itself.
    Last edited by Juz; 04-03-2010 at 01:11 PM.

So those are the basic steps for making a Preset and organizing it in a Unique Brush Category with a Custom Icon brush preview.

No matter what Artrage Tool you use the steps are the same.

Choose the Tool
    Set up the tool in the Settings Panel
    Click the New Preset button (icon and groups are optional)
    Name your new preset and click OK.

You will always be following these steps for any tool preset.

Some tools have very few settings to adjust like the Eraser Tool while the Sticker Spray Tool has the most settings to adjust (including the variations panel and shadow settings panel; both launch from buttons on the Settings Panel and can be considered as extra or more detailed settings).

Last edited by Juz; 04-03-2010 at 01:12 PM.

Strong one, matey !
    Just say: "Rage It", because we already know it's art.

My ArtRage 3 and 4 Gallery------My Site ------- BROWSE MY BOOK

Thanks mate