ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: 2 suggestions/wishes

2 suggestions/wishes

I'm loving and using artrage more and more, and am still missing some features:

1: option to adjust opacity of the paint applied, independent from loading/thinner settings. Using the thinner makes the stroke either too grey (loose saturation) or when used with the insta-dry option, doesn't pick up/move the underlying paint.

2: have the reference image dissapear when I paint underneath it, the same way the menu and palettes dissapear when I paint and move the brush on the canvas to a spot they occupy. Or at least have it as an option would be great!

Would those changes be possible?

Hey Lastbrat,

I was playing with thinner things as well. If you use loads of thinner and turn the insta-dry on, you will get the transparent brush effect you want. For instance, a 30% opacity brush would be using 70% thinner with insta-dry on.
    My personal setting is 35% pressure, 70% thinner, 100% loading, insta-dry on, auto clean on, and square head on.
    The colour actually gets blended as well... a transparent yellow on blue will still look green- a different way of blending though, of course not as natural as the actual colour blending.

I know, I use that too, but the fact remains that no underlying paint is blenden/moved around when insta-dry option is enabled.

I am not really into programming, but I guess colours are only blend-able when they have 100% opacity (with thickness, like real painting). Less than 100%, things are different.

For example, I have the attached picture below: 1 and 2 are done in yellow and blue with 30% opacity; 3 and 4 are done using the same colours with 100% opacity. Notice that the areas 1 and 2 are different, 3 and 4 are the same.

It reminds me CMYK- that you have to print cyan first, magenta second, yellow third and black in the end. If you do it right, you get area 2 which is the green you want; if you paint yellow first and cyan second, you get the wrong colour like 1. Yeah, with transparency, even the same two colours get different blending results. And that's why I think it's hard for the technology.

So why 3 and 4 are not as green as 2? Because a 30% yellow has 70% white in it, and a 30% blue has 70% white as well. White has no hue. The resulted colour is only going to be more pale than green.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Another thought

You know in real painting, if you blend two complementary colours the result would be gray or grayish colour. But the CMYK systems doesn't work like that.

All I am saying is that when you paint 30% orange on 30% blue, the computer doesn't know which colour to pick up or to blend: 30% purple? 30% gray? 30% pale orange? 30% blue (no blending at all but results in a 60% blue overall which is wrong)? Or is it 100% pale purple etc. (but you are using 30% brush)?

So it's really a conflict between traditional media and digital media.