ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to paint skin

How to paint skin

Hello everyone I am going to attempt a Tutorial on how to paint skin (Alexandra and Likoum)
    I have never done a tut before so I apologise if I skip bits or forget to mention something

TOOLS

Airbrush
    Palette knife
    Eraser

Steps 1 and 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	how to paint skin part 1.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	43714   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	how to paint skin part 2.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	161.5 KB 
ID:	43715  
    Treat Others as you wish to be treated

http://mannafig.deviantart.com/

Hi Sandra I just use the basic paper setting on this one but other settings work just as well in my opinion depending on what look your after

Step 3 and 4
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	how to paint skin part 3 blending.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	149.4 KB 
ID:	43735   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	how to paint skin part 4a eyebrows and lashes.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	139.9 KB 
ID:	43736  

Except that the color of *anything* makes sense only in its environment.

In blue light, skin will be blue. In red light, skin will be red. You have to pinpoint characteristics other than color to make it feel like skin in either case. Reflectivity, translucency, value and color saturation, etc.

You're trying to do generic "flesh" color here, and you haven't established any environment.

It's always a good idea to begin with the background, than the figure. It is easy to tie the object into its environment, but it's next to impossible to tie an environment to an arbitrary lighting on an object.

Quote Originally Posted by arenhaus View Post
    ... It's always a good idea to begin with the background, than the figure. It is easy to tie the object into its environment, but it's next to impossible to tie an environment to an arbitrary lighting on an object.
    Just to be sure that I understood you right: If I'd paint a room with e.g. a table, cupboard, window and a person - you'd paint the room and window first, eventually the person?

This is a good tutorial. I like the part with the tools settings and the result is good, thanks a lot Amanda

@Arenhaus : my understanding of your meaning is that you have to use colors depending of the background and environment for highlights and shadows ... I think that you are right, but I will ignore this for the moment on my side : I first have to learn how to cast highlights and shadows on subjects
    Last edited by Likoum; 04-03-2010 at 02:52 AM.

Great tutorial... Thanks kindly.... I do have one question though not sure what you mean by "palette knife on BLUR"....

Again many thanks...

Ken

Arenhaus Thank you for the comment. But as with all art everyone is different they vary as much in style and creativity as they do in ability.
    I have always worked the main picture first and then added in my background I also already have in mind how my pictures will look in my head.

Likoum Thank you very much I am pleased I could offer a little help

Quote Originally Posted by kenmo View Post
    Great tutorial... Thanks kindly.... I do have one question though not sure what you mean by "palette knife on BLUR"....
    Yes, that would be using the palette knife with the "blur" setting selected. This was done in ArtRage 3, ArtRage 2.5 does not have a blur setting if that is what you are using.

Great tutorial Amanda! Will definitely be using this.

Cheers!
    +I only see the good qualities in people. Not being faultless myself, I won't probe into the faults of others+

kenmo Thank you as Alan said but if I remember correctly 2.5 has a soft option on the palette knife which should give a similar effect.

Thank you Kindly Alan I was then about to explain this ( I forgot 2.5 is different)So thanks for doing it for me.
    Can't wait to see what you do.