ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Colourwheel based on real paint

Colourwheel based on real paint

Hello Artragers. I love artrage, it has the feeling of real paint on paper/canvas. I had however something that was bugging me. I love gouache and i want to have those gouache colours they have in their tin tubes, like Cadium red, prussian blue, yellow ochre, etc on my screen? How?

Colourspaces
    I paint a lot in gouache, iím an illustrator and work for print magazine, etc. So i know something about publication and RGB/CYMK colourspaces. I always convert my images to CYMK workspace and back again (in Photoshop) I want my handpainted illustrations the same in print as the original.

Calibration
    I have my monitor calibrated with Eye-one match and a proofed scanner. So whats on the screen is also the colour i see in print (almost, 100% perfect seems imopssible).

Quiller Wheel
    I use a Quiller Wheel wich is perfect for my colours. (Its the basic colorwheel for painters.)
    It looked nice to me to transfer my gouache painted colours into Artrage, so i can paint directly and use the colours i used to. I mainly use Winsor & Newton gouache and Holbein gouache.

It might me fun for you, how i tried to make this happen. I shoot some screen shots of the process. Feel free to use my wheel if u like it!

Step 1:
    I painted my own Quiller Wheel first (Google Quiller Wheel) I put the names of the colours aside of the dots, i have a short memory. I also tried some mixtures of the paint, and tried to place them on the right spot on the wheel.

Step 2:
    Scanning! I have a special program Silverfast on my Epson scanner. I used first hardware calibration to set the scanner ready to go.

Step 3:
    With the calibarated scanner i scanned my orginal and put it into Photoshop. Use the picker to take an average colour spot and put new dots digitally on a fresh layer.

Step 4:
    Now iíve got the layer with the right colour on it in the right RGB-values. (There is no need to use the CYMK space yet, only on the end of a painting.) I drawed in Adobe Illustrator a nice reference, so i later on can fill it in with Photoshop.

Step 5:
    Iíve take the whole and put it into Photoshop to fill it in, so you get they right colourshapes, like on the Ďrealí Quiller wheel.

Step 6:
    I imported the brand new colourwheel as a reference in Artrage. Use the colour picker to pick those painted colours.

Step 7:
    Iíve made a sheet and the names of the colours, it might be handy.

Step 8:
    Get ready to do some nice painting :-)

Best regards to you all! (Forgive my bad English) ;-)

Loek Weijts, illustrator
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scan1.jpg 
Views:	990 
Size:	130.7 KB 
ID:	43667   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dots.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	43668  
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Boulderdash; 04-01-2010 at 06:19 AM.
    Best Wishes,

Loek Weijts

High res Wheel

And of course in high-res.

And the names...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ColourWheelGouache.jpg 
Views:	1008 
Size:	173.4 KB 
ID:	43672   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	quiller_names.jpg 
Views:	1948 
Size:	185.7 KB 
ID:	43673   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gogo2.jpg 
Views:	435 
Size:	163.9 KB 
ID:	43674  
    Last edited by Boulderdash; 04-01-2010 at 06:23 AM.
    Best Wishes,

Loek Weijts

Thank you.

Thanks!

I like this.. and definitely try those colors for paint. This is fun

Tone

Very nice. I will keep this in mind and steal it from you!