ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brush Mod/Technique?

Brush Mod/Technique?

Is there some way to get a brush to look like the Sumi-e technique for painting willow like leaves; i.e. pointed on both ends wider in middle. I have a wacom Bamboo. Them ultimately I'd like to be able to simulate a bamboo stalk.

The main point is that I'd like to be able to paint these two things. I have added a photoshop stamp of both these but that ain't the same as painting.

Also I tried the cel, paper but it comes up transparent, i.e., checkered. What is the best way to get a solid background, fill?

What version of ArtRage are you using? There's different tool sets between ArtRage 2.5 and ArtRage Studio/Pro. It also sounds like you tried to link to some images, but you can't do that until you've made a certain number posts. Please attach the pictures directly to your post using the "Manage Attachments" feature located under your posting window (or click on the Paperclip icon at the top of the posting window).

For a smooth canvas, open the canvas panel and turn the Roughness setting down to 0%.

As for the Sumi-e effect, the watercolor tool in ArtRage 3 would likely come the closest to mimicking the effect (you'd need a drawing tablet that has pressure sensitivity to end the pressure differences in the lines).
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Actually, I have both, but I am using 3.06 Pro.

I wasn't trying to attach anything.

I believe the wacom Bamboo I mentioned is pressure sensitive as I can get a good point when I start oils, but its a little hit and miss to end it in a point, and also by that time the loading of the brush is wearing out so the paint gets thinner than how it started.

I would like to use watercolors but can't seem to get a point.

Hi

Try painting both ways........that is to say like the attached example......it works for me
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pointed x2.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	43676  
    Da go Te'
    Best to you

Peter............
    Have a listen to or buy my music : http://www.reverbnation.com/playlist...artist_3522106
    and the Aubrey Small website:http://www.aubreysmall.com/
    My Facebook page:https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010972992278

I have a Wacom Bamboo, too, and I've always had trouble getting a good result at the end of a stroke. (I guess that's one of the reasons they're billed as a "starter" tablet!)

You might see if it helps to set your Pressure (in Tool Settings) very low, say 0-15%. Also if you set Loading to 100%, you won't run out of paint in the middle of a stroke.

Since you're emulating the look of a Sumi-E painting, I'd suggest turning Canvas Lighting off (under Canvas Settings).

Actually, you might try the Watercolor and Gloop Pen tools to approximate the sumi-e look, not the Paintbrush.

Quote Originally Posted by arenhaus View Post
    Actually, you might try the Watercolor and Gloop Pen tools to approximate the sumi-e look, not the Paintbrush.
    I can't get them to come to a point.

I take back any aspersions I may have cast upon my trusty tablet. After a little practice, I was able to get reliable results with the Oil Brush. The other tools are trickier, but really I think the key is to make hundreds of leaves. Well, art is pain.

Here are some of my practice leaves, in, left to right: Oil Brush, Watercolor, Ink Pen, Felt Pen, and Sticker Spray. All strokes start at the top.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by terrygillooly View Post
    I take back any aspersions I may have cast upon my trusty tablet. After a little practice, I was able to get reliable results with the Oil Brush. The other tools are trickier, but really I think the key is to make hundreds of leaves. Well, art is pain.

Here are some of my practice leaves, in, left to right: Oil Brush, Watercolor, Ink Pen, Felt Pen, and Sticker Spray. All strokes start at the top.
    wow... those are fantastic. now you should teach how to do this. tips and tricks section please! those really are amazing brush strokes. Do you achieve this with use of pressure?
    Last edited by screenpainter; 04-02-2010 at 03:23 PM.

Well, that's exactly what I was looking for.

My Bamboo tablet is pressure sensitive, but I don't think it does angles. Does your tablet do that?