ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: HELP! Convert png or stk in prs file

HELP! Convert png or stk in prs file

This far I was able to produce customer stickers (STK) from their PNG on transparent layer images, although it's not quite clear to me what the levels are for.
    I then have my own Folder with my personal and lolored stickers.
    Now I would like to get from them a Customer Sticker Spray preset. I already have the folder with my name there too, but I need to have the above stickers to become PRS also in view of selecting the hue when spraying them.
    How should I proceed pls?
    Thank You in advance.
    Last edited by Caesar; 03-31-2010 at 03:13 AM.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Hi Caesar,
    From what I understand, you've managed to make your .png's into .stk's... these are your stickers. For tracing a hue/colour all you need to do is make those original .pngs and stickers in RED (255,0,0). It is this colour which allows you to 'trace' colour with the colour picker.

A .prs (preset) is a set of behaviours/instructions for how you want the sticker to behave. Things such as the size of your stickerbrush as well as the setup in your variations dialog and settings dialog will be contained in the preset (.prs). You will use this as well as your sticker
    eg/ .stk + .prs = sticker and how it will behave.

You do not need a .prs file to get your sticker working as a custom sticker brush. Its used when you have some nice settings for a custom sticker brush that you might like to keep. eg/ if you like the rotation, spacing setup of your variations as applied to a certain sticker you would go ahead and make a preset. You can then use that preset for quick access to the stickerbrush with that rotation/spacing etc in the future.

To make a preset, set up the variations and settings for your sticker brush (http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...09&postcount=8 will show you how to choose the sticker for the brush), open the preset panel and choose 'New Preset'. The preset will then be a shortcut to all of this setup in the future.
    Last edited by Juz; 03-31-2010 at 02:48 AM.
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)

Dear Ragers and mates,
    a good and still bad news thereabout.
    I did one more successful step and, from the follow-on analysis, got even more doubts.
    That is, I did got a .prs file by sampling an image on the canvas.
    Now I passed that file, from the User Content in open AR, into the Resources folder present into Ambient Design I can ope from Programs.
    I've got there both Andrea's and Cesare's Sticker folders (with STK files) and both AndreaStickerSample and CesareStickerSample as StickerSpray pre-sets (PRS files).
    Whilst I can use Stickers of either Cesare or Andrea on AR, I can use only Andrea's StickersSpray pre-sets and not the (anyway visible) visible Cesare's pre-set.
    Why? Is it a matter of file size or else?
    Moreover, why in AR, looking to User Content I don't see any of those files exept Andrea's STK which are, curiously, among the User Stencil (not Sticker) folder? Actually they are monochrom,atic red and they do look like stencils, but they still are among stickers.
    I'm confused now. I should have made a mess.
    Which point am I missing?

Ops. Thanks Juz for Your reply. I'll study it carefully immediately because it seems quite promising ... I'll let You know!

Thank You very much, dear Juz.
    I got my sticker spray from my sticker even with a coloured stickers. Obviously what You spray have more colours and are different from the one You pick (I guess some calculations are made to set the it, since they're not red).
    I even reminded that, some time ago, I got the sticker spray working from my test sticker accidentally.
    Thank You very much, my friend. I'll have to work now to make brushes out of my textures.
    My problem now is that my stickers look a bit too metallic and, to certain extent plasticine-like as texture. I guess They would improve if I make them red (with an appropriate blending layer I guess).
    I will have also to work on transparency (they're pretty opaque this far).
    I'll see what I can get.
    I thank You again immensely!

You are most welcome Caesar my friend.

You are quite right, stickers will work and change colour no matter what colour the original sticker is, but the colour travels from the one you pick if the sticker is any other colour than Red (255,0,0)

For an in depth explanation of why this happens and how to predict colour behaviour refer to my tutorial Understanding sticker spray colour In particular to the section- 'How the Hue of our original sticker affects the Traced Hue of our brushstroke.'
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)

Dear Juz, actually I already realized in the past this colour travelling effect with the colour bubbles (it seemed You should guess the complementary one to get what You needed).
    I also just tried to make red stickers out of some interesting textures in other colours (even a monochrome grey) so as to make them become special brushes, by layer blending with colour mode of an upper pure red layer.
    It doesn't work that great though, because the tonal range gets narrower and/ or darker and each spot has a slightly different red tone.
    The tonal range reduction might be possibly solved by duplicate blending.
    I might work also on transparency parameters most likely, to have a more delicate touch and to mix different strokes.
    I guess I may obtain the best solution by just setting the transparency level (filtering withe blend mode to enhance tonal range) and changing the result into a stencil. I nmay then color it with pure red and turn it into a sticker.
    Anyway I'm quite satisfied for the breakthrough I had today thank to Your help, dear friend!
    Last edited by Caesar; 03-31-2010 at 04:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Juz View Post
    To make a preset, set up the variations and settings for your sticker brush (http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...09&postcount=8 will show you how to choose the sticker for the brush), open the preset panel and choose 'New Preset'. The preset will then be a shortcut to all of this setup in the future.
    Well this was just the nugget of information that I was struggling with. Thanks for this, I just didn't get it before I read this. Silly really, 'cos now I have re-read the manual instructions it all fits into place and I wonder why I didn't get it before! LOL
    TeresaW
    My Art blog can be found here and
    PaperTree's Images in the ArtRage Gallery can be found here.