ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Paint "drips" under the ruler / stencil

Paint "drips" under the ruler / stencil

Hello,
    I have the following problem: when I use a stencil or a ruler, it happens sometimes (seemingly at random) that paint gets under the stencil or ruler - like it would do with a real stencil/ruler. Is this a feature - designed to make AR look more like natural media , or is it a bug? Either way, is there a workaround or a way to turn it off? Attached are two views of an ink pen stroke in AR - one with the ruler, the other without.
    For the record: I use AR 3.0.6 on an imac (2ghz Intel) with Snow Leopard (though I have experienced it in AR 2.5 on a non-intel mac running an earlier version of Mac OS X Leopard as well).
    Any helpful ideas would be most welcome... Thanks in advance,

Mikolaj
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Unless you have the ruler set to 'guide mode' ( right click, set it in the menu ), media should not go beneath the ruler when you do a stroke along it. Any idea if there is any sort of pattern you're seeing? e.g. specifically with some tools and not others, only in large documents and so on.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Thanks for your reply, Dave. It has been difficult for me so far to find a pattern to this weird behavior... It has been plaguing me for some time, but just right now as I tried to reproduce it, I couldn't. I work mostly with fairly large files (A4 or larger @ 300 dpi) with several layers (some of them being scans of drawings @ 300 dpi) - so I suppose it could perhaps be the processor getting too much work. I use the rulers in conjunction with the ink pen, but as far as I can remember, this has happened to me with the paint brush as well(in AR 2.5). Two weird things about how this bug behaves: first - as you can see in the pictures I posted previously, it's not that the painting tool becomes completely insensitive to the ruler, it's more as if the ruler has slipped a couple millimeters downwards. Secondly, if it happens at a certain point when I draw a line, it will always happen at the same point, no matter how many times I undo the stroke and redraw it - until I move the ruler. Then this behavior would stop.
    Strange, isn't it?

If somehow you get an idea what could be causing it, let me know, please...

Mikolaj

One kind of workaround that works - when this "overflowing" appears, hit "undo", then move the stencil or ruler somewhere else. Then undo this move and redraw the stroke - there should be no overflow anymore. It's not a real solution - a bit of a hack, really - but it helps...

Mikolaj

Definitely an odd problem. Do you know if it happens when you're zoomed to 100% or only when zoomed in/out? Another possibility: Does it only happen after the ruler has been moved while zoomed to something other than 100%?

While we don't have an immediate fix we'll look in to it and see if we can work it out.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.