ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Ellipse stencil

Ellipse stencil

The presence of a true ellipse template and the ability to shift / transform is a welcome addition to AR3 but I have a couple of questions. The first is what the angles of the ellipses are - I have guessed the following (starting with thinnest ellipse)

1. ?
    2. ?
    3. ?
    4. 5 deg
    5. ?
    6. 10 deg
    7. 15 deg
    8. 20 deg
    9. 30 deg
    10. 40 deg
    11. 60 deg
    12. 90 deg (i.e. circle - if so, technically not an ellipse )

Can anyone correct / confirm these values?

The second question is concerning modification of stencils - is it possible to create a new stencil from a section of existing stencil? In this case I would like to cut out one of the ellipses and use it a single ellipse.

thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by seansverige View Post

The second question is concerning modification of stencils - is it possible to create a new stencil from a section of existing stencil? In this case I would like to cut out one of the ellipses and use it a single ellipse.

I'm not sure about the first question, but there are a couple things you could do for the second question. First, you could fill in the ellipse you want with a solid color, on it's own layer. Then just select the "New Stencil from Layer Contents" option from the layer menu to create a stencil from it. The second way will help to keep the original stencils clarity. For that, you'll have to open the image file that is used for the stencil itself. In this case it'll be a .PNG file found in your Programs folder for Ambient Design (on my system it's located here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Ambient Design\ArtRage Studio Pro\Resources\Stencils\Shapes). Import the image into ArtRage using "Import Image File" (NOT "Import Image File to Layer"). Use the Rectangle Selection tool to create a square around the ellipse you want as it's own stencil and then select "Crop to Selection" from the "Edit" menu. Then Export the image as a PNG (BE SURE to save it with a new name, you don't want to save over the old stencil, because you may need it in the future).
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

We created the ellipse stencil quite a while ago, but when it was done I don't think it was created to specific angles, more just a range of shapes.

If you have specific angles that you require, you can import image files as stencils ( the black parts of an image become the 'holes' in a stencil, the white parts the solid plastic part. Any lightness level between will be semi-opaque ). You can see how to import an image file as a stencil in more detail on page 92 of the manual ( Help -> ArtRage Help ) under 'Adding stencils to the collection'. PNG is a good format to use for this.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Hello again,

I'm not sure what stages you're looking for in an ellipse or even if I've done this right according to your needs, but I've attached a few stencils to my post here that may help you. One stencil is a protractor I made using ArtRage and the ArtRage ruler. By starting with a ruler set to a 0 angle, I put the pin at the 0 point of the ruler and began incrementing the angle by 5 (by right clicking on the ruler and selecting "Set Stencil Angle"), drawing a line along the ruler at each increment. I then used the ellipse selection tool to create a selection starting at the zero point of the ruler and extending it around my lines and then used it to crop the lines to create a clean arc for the protractor. After making the protractor into a stencil, I used it as a guide to mark off points for heights while creating ellipses for use in the two different ellipse stencils attached below. One ellipse stencil holds 80, 70, 60, 50, 40, 30, 20, 10 and 5 ellipses on it. The other has 85, 75, 65, 55, 45, 35, 25, 15 and 5 ellipses.

Since I made these all by hand and eye using what I had available in ArtRage, I can't guaranty that it's all perfectly done. But if you're just looking for "close enough", they might be helpful.

Edit:for those who'd like a visual to go with my explanation of my steps above, here is a screen shot of the process (you'll find the stencil images down further, just right click and save them to your computer and load them into your stencil folder for ArtRage):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	how.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	43587
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	elipse set 1.png 
Views:	2209 
Size:	78.2 KB 
ID:	43584   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	elipse set 2.png 
Views:	1804 
Size:	80.1 KB 
ID:	43585   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	protractor_numberd.png 
Views:	5233 
Size:	148.3 KB 
ID:	43586  
    Last edited by Someonesane; 03-30-2010 at 04:25 PM.

Wow, awesome resources, Someonesane! Thank you for posting these!
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Quote Originally Posted by DaveRage View Post
    Wow, awesome resources, Someonesane! Thank you for posting these!
    No problem