ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: ArtRage to Acrylic -- two new paintings

ArtRage to Acrylic -- two new paintings

Continuing with translating work done in ArtRage into acrylic paintings, here are two works in progress. I'd say both of the acrylics are about 60% done at this point. I'll post finals here when completed. Al
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vineyard comparison.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	372.5 KB 
ID:	43506   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bassistacrylic.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	371.2 KB 
ID:	43507  

This is facinating...Are you saying that the first image is the one done in AR and then the following image shows the painting you made from this in real media acrylics?I like what you have done - the musician in particular How did you go about transferring the painting onto your canvas, did you perhaps use a projector?

Hi Al,

At this point, the landscape is better in AR for instance but
    for the second image I prefer the acrylic variant.
    I am not sure I can explain well, but I will say simply :
    I think it needs more contrast, few dark lines and few light ones,
    and if you want to keep it in surface showing,
    with no lines, just make the lines larger or the color patches thinner,
    that way it would be a mark of the shapes,
    of cause, this is only an opinion ;
    I will like to see how you will advance on your way to do acrylics,
    is not a easy medium to render what you want, at least for me.
    Last edited by Dany51; 05-05-2010 at 03:11 PM.
    "All are about quiet and light." Dany
    Daily Studio Notes , Daniela Ionesco-Fine Art

I accept critics only from friends,
    how about You ?

I have no words to express how much I appreciate this work. Surely you are mastering the methods, each complementing the other. Very nice, congratulations Al, I can hardly distinguish which is which.

I think I wouldn't be at all that good reproducing my AR paintings with acrylics! These are perfect, even better looking.
    There's only the chalk effect missing on the second one to look alike.
    I guess anyway that You might also apply pastel on the acrylics, fix it, and get a perfect copy, should You wish to.
    You are furtherly and eloquently confirming, in the most convincing way, that AR is great also using traditional real tools!
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Thanks to all for coming to comment. The acrylics are about half finished and I hope the additional glazing and drybrush layers I have planned for them will bring them closer to the ArtRage produced versions.

Rowena -- I used photoshop to overlay a grid on the images and then drew a grid on the canvas to guide the transfer of the drawings. I've never been happy with using a projector for some reason.

Dany -- The acrylics are a bit darker and brighter, but the camera isn't catching it. After some glazes I hopefully will have the deeper darks you mention are missing. Thanks!

Oriane -- After the first month or so of using ArtRage, I found that I was producing better paintings digitally than physically. I'm trying now to take the improvements back to canvas. Both of these are quite large (the landscape is 3 feet by 4 feet) And the remaining drawback of working digitally for me is the printing. My computer is a middle of the road laptop that prevents me from working at sizes much larger than 2000 pixels by 2000 pixels. Getting that size original to print scaled up to 3 by 4 feet is disappointing. I'm getting ready to purchase some new hardware to see how large I can work.

Caesar -- Thanks for the comments. I'll finish these soon and we can see how close I was able to get to the ArtRage versions.

Dany -- The acrylics are a bit darker and brighter, but the camera isn't catching it. After some glazes I hopefully will have the deeper darks you mention are missing. Thanks!
    Sorry, but your photos are so close to the original that I even didn't
    think about it as a photo,
    the photos that I do after my original paintings I even can't show them,
    they are shiny or darker , etc..

I really like your paintings and hope to see them finished .
    "All are about quiet and light." Dany
    Daily Studio Notes , Daniela Ionesco-Fine Art

I accept critics only from friends,
    how about You ?

Quite enterprising - inspiring too!
    The artist is the lover of Nature, therefore he is her slave and her master. - Rabindranth Tagore