ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Chess Still Life

Chess Still Life

This is a still life I painted for an online class. Some of the reflections on the board didn't turn out quite right, but overall I'm pretty happy with it. I call it Checkmate.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kisler_Checkmate_final_shrunk.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	330.8 KB 
ID:	43283  

very nice, I like the way you drew the pieces. The only thing I don't like is the way you painted the light from the candle, instead of white it should just be brighter wood color or something. Still better than I could do.

Sorry for the black piece - A real checkmate! Nicely done!
    The artist is the lover of Nature, therefore he is her slave and her master. - Rabindranth Tagore

This is nicely done. The candle light is the only thing that seems off. A candle flame usually has a sharper peak at the top and these look more like a light bulb with the rounded top.

The brightness of the flames creates two center of interest points but you overcame this by forcing one to stay looking at the piece by naming it 'Checkmate' which makes the viewer focus on the placement of the pieces.

Great overall feel to the piece and I like the idea that you did not just randomly place the pieces but set them up as a checkmate. Adds a lot of interest to the piece, and the name makes the viewer look closely at the individual pieces which are very well painted.

Nice piece

Sort of have to agree about the candles--but the board and the pieces are incredible! Great job.
    The only problem with humor is that no one takes it seriously.

The chess pieces are very realistic, and I like the grain of the wood as well. It does seem as if the perspective is slightly off, however... to me it seems like everything is slightly leaning towards the bottom left corner?

chess

great work make's me want to play e2--e4 have to paint my chess pieces little chine'se one's with face's on

yes after having another look I agree with carlcath, back to the candles
    and put in as much detail as you have shown on the chess pieces plus the candlelight would be more yellow with smoke spirale's going up ok

sorry back again I think you should take out the luminous glow around the
    candles it distracts a great work. one you should be
    proud of

Picture - super.
    Action-0(zero).
    - It is bad
    IMHO
    choosing the words, we lose thoughts
    facebook, B, tumblr