ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pencils and shading

Question Pencils and shading

Sorry if this has been asked before or sounds a very daft question, but I have not been able to find anything in my search through the forum.

I generally use Artrange for my pencil sketches and I usually use the 'hard and dark' pencil for the lines (with smoothing turned off) as I think it emulates a real pencil the best. This is fine, but my problems start when I try to shade my picture.

I have tried using the 'hard shader' but I don't think this mimicks how real pencil shading looks on paper, it looks way too holey and it looks almost exactly the same as the chalk.

I have tried adjusting the paper and pencil settings but I can't find anything that looks more realistic, does anybody know how to make it look better, or does anyone else have this problem?

2. Try “Cell” from the Canvas Setting... (that’s as smooth as it gets...?)
    Later, one can switch back to the “Basic Paper” or else...

Regards
    Nolan

You may also try to shade using the ink pen with an opacity around 20 to 40%. This will not look like a real pencil, but you can get quick shading of you sketch.
    You can see an example of this here : http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...ad.php?t=28208
    Last edited by Likoum; 03-21-2010 at 01:35 PM.

(EDIT) - Had the tools backwards. All fixed now.

If you're using ArtRage Studio or ARS Pro, you can try out some presets I made and have attached below. I've also included a link to a cardboard texture that I scanned, which I think is nice for sketching.

Palette Knife Preset: Pencil Blender.prs

Pencil Tool Preset: My Soft Sketcher.prs

Paper Texture: Cardboard_tile150.png

My Soft Sketcher preset is for the Pencil Tool, which I have been using pretty often. The Pencil Blender preset is for the Palette Knife Tool. It smooths the area out, but adds a bit of texture to the blurring as well.

Here's some tests I've done with the combination:

Name:  eyesketch.png
Views: 4812
Size:  271.5 KB
    Last edited by Someonesane; 03-21-2010 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Whoops, had those listed backwards...
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Thanks, Someonesane.....these are really nice. I'll be happy to use them if nobody else does!

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen724 View Post
    Thanks, Someonesane.....these are really nice. I'll be happy to use them if nobody else does!
    No problem Eileen. Please note that I had the uses of the presets backwards before (I just edited my post to correct it). The Pencil Blender is meant for the Palette Knife tool, while My Soft Sketcher is meant to be used with the Pencil Tool.

Ha! Yes, I figured as such after I tried to use it as a Pencil preset! I've moved it into my Knife folder and all is well. I love this! Thanks so much for sharing....I'm one happy kid with a lollipop!!!

Thank you very much Someonesane!

I really like your sketching pencil, it works well for sketching and it's not bad at shading either.
    I have tried the pencil shader for the pallet knife, it works very well and I find it really easy to make the shading look a lot more smooth, thanks again!

Ah, I've just worked out how to use the Cardboard Canvas, I think it looks a lot more like sketching paper than the Basic Paper setting does, so thanks again!

No problem. Hope they help.