ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about file import

Question about file import

I'm evaluating the demo of Studio Pro and whenever I attempted to import a large Photoshop file, it just gives me an error. Is this a restriction imposed by the demo, or is there a limit to the size of PSD that Artrage will import?

Could you let me know what error you're seeing? The demo is limited in the size of files it handles, but there is no arbitrary limit placed on import or export in the full versions.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

It's a decent sized Photoshop file (about 21 mb). This is what I see:

A function call has been made to a function that has not been implemented...

Artrage encountered an error trying to load the selected file, the file may be damaged or an unsupported format.

I'll check that out with the demo here. What dimensions are the file? 1280 x 1024 is the maximum supported by the demo so it may be that causing it.

Update: I have just been reminded to ask if your image is RGB 8-bit per channel? ArtRage doesn't support CMYK or 16-bit per channel imports.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

It's definitely larger than the file size supported by the demo, so I imagine that is the problem.

I don't understand the reasoning behind crippled demos. (I've been evaluating a lot of software the past couple days, and I see this a lot)

I would think that time-limiting them should be sufficient to prevent their continued unlicensed use. How can I evaluate how well the program handles large files if I can't open one?

Time limiting is unfortunately not a very secure method of protection, so while we are looking at other approaches we might take, we chose with the initial demo to include as many tools as we could but place a basic limitation on file size.

This may change in the future.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

The artrage demo is not this limited compared to other software I have tried before buying it ... And I was amazed that the last upgrade was free, considering that it contains quite a cool feature : ability to use PS brushes ...

I've been sampling many graphic demos recently. Corel's Painter Essentials has absolutely no restrictions on use other than a 60 day time limit.

Likewise, the demo I am using of Sony's Vegas Studio at the moment is fully functioning for 30 days.

I think time limitations (and/or watermarking output, if it isn't too obnoxious) are satisfactorily effective methods of demo limiting that do not interfere with feature evaluation.

I say this, not to be argumentative, but because I really enjoy Artrage. I already own version 2. But I'm not about to buy any software because it received a glowing testimonial. I've used too much software that payed lip service to various functions, only to find that their actual implementation was buggy or unusable in practice.

My earlier copy of Artrage suffered serious performance issues when working on large documents. This may have been limitations of the software, or simply the hardware I was running it on. Either way, it couldn't do what I needed it to do, so it was money wasted.

I have new hardware now, and Artrage has evolved, so I think it's worth considering again. But many of the things that are of importance to me....like its ability to import/export various graphic file formats reliably, or handle large document sizes...are impossible to evaluate in the demo.

That does not encourage me to open up my wallet.

Though, which is worse..?

The loss of people who won't buy a product because they can't test run a feature limited software, or the loss of sales to pirates cracking the time limitation and the subsequent torrent site downloads that follow?
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

In this case, if you still have ArtRage 2 you can try that on your new system to do speed tests, ArtRage 3 operates with a very similar engine so you will probably find that if you're having issues in 2 you will have issues in 3. However, we are looking at ways to improve this in the future.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.