ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Setting custom keyboard shortcuts

Setting custom keyboard shortcuts

Hi!

I'm using ArtRage 3 Studio Pro on a MacBook Pro with OS X 10.4.11, swedish locale setting and keyboard layout.

When trying to set custom keyboard shortcuts the application won't read any letter keys and merely display a blank space (" "). If I hold any function keys, such as Command or Option, it will read "Cmd+Shift+ ".

I tried disconnecting my USB keyboard as well as my Intuos3 but the problem persists.

Any ideas on as to how I could resolve this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Ps. I can't get the "touch strip" on my Intuos3 to work either. It will occasionally zoom out, but not in. Neither of these problems occured in ArtRage 2. Ds.

We have just tried 3.0.6 on 10.4.11 with Swedish locale and keyboard set up and we can't replicate this problem. We have tried both Swedish and Swedish Pro layouts. Are you using special keyboard or just the standard Mac one? Could you also let me know if numeric keys work if you try to allocate them?

Regarding the Intuos drag strip: Are you pointing the mouse at the canvas when you use the strip? The object under the mouse is affected by the zoom function so if the cursor isn't pointing at the canvas itself it may not zoom.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Standard USB keyboard as well as the integrated one. It doesn't seem like any keys work at all. It does seem to notice that a key is pressed, but not which one.

I tried both hovering the pen above the tablet and not doing so, it will only zoom out.

I just noticed I'm not using the latest version (3.0.5), will update and get back to you.

Updated to 3.0.6. No change.

Thanks for the additional information. There are a couple of things we should try then to see if we can work out what's going on:

1. If you add a text layer and type, do the characters appear correctly? Try changing font a couple of times and see if that works.

2. If you go to the Keyboard Shortcuts menu and assign a new shortcut to an item, does that shortcut work (even if the display is incorrect)?

I'm trying to work out whether the key being received is being misunderstood, or whether there's another problem.

Regarding Zoom: If it's zooming one way but not the other, check the settings in your Wacom settings panel. If the zoom strip it set to 'Auto Scroll/Zoom', try setting it to just Zoom, that may help.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Quote Originally Posted by MattRage View Post
    Thanks for the additional information. There are a couple of things we should try then to see if we can work out what's going on:

1. If you add a text layer and type, do the characters appear correctly? Try changing font a couple of times and see if that works.
    This works.

2. If you go to the Keyboard Shortcuts menu and assign a new shortcut to an item, does that shortcut work (even if the display is incorrect)?
    (What I'd like to do is bind the show/hide tracing image function to a button on my Wacom since it's bound to the "/" key which doesn't exist on a swedish keyboard. Well the symbol does if you press Shift+7, but that doesn't trigger the function.) I just found out that I can bind the function to the "End" key, but not the letter "A", or "Command+A" or similar.

I'm trying to work out whether the key being received is being misunderstood, or whether there's another problem.
    Perhaps the system doesn't allow custom keybindings such as the above in paranthesis?

Regarding Zoom: If it's zooming one way but not the other, check the settings in your Wacom settings panel. If the zoom strip it set to 'Auto Scroll/Zoom', try setting it to just Zoom, that may help.
    I set the left side to "Zoom" keeping the right side "Auto Scroll/Zoom". Only "Zoom" works and only in zooming out.

Could you try binding the toggle trace image command to 'A' and see if pressing A toggles the tracing image, even if the shortcuts panel isn't showing the character? I've been able to assign simple characters such as A to commands with a Swedish layout so something else is probably interfering. Knowing if 'A' actually works regardless of what the panel displays is important.

Could you check that you have the latest Intuos drivers as well? I can't replicate the zoom problem either so let's make sure the drivers are up to date. When installing, please make sure you remove all profiles you have for applications (if you have any) as these can sometimes cause problems for the drivers when they are updated.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Could you try binding the toggle trace image command to 'A' and see if pressing A toggles the tracing image, even if the shortcuts panel isn't showing the character? I've been able to assign simple characters such as A to commands with a Swedish layout so something else is probably interfering. Knowing if 'A' actually works regardless of what the panel displays is important.
    Doesn't work. "End" works though.

Could you check that you have the latest Intuos drivers as well? I can't replicate the zoom problem either so let's make sure the drivers are up to date. When installing, please make sure you remove all profiles you have for applications (if you have any) as these can sometimes cause problems for the drivers when they are updated.
    Updated, the problem persists.

I'm clueluess as to what could cause this. I tried deleting everything "ArtRage" and reinstalled the application with fresh default settings. It's still the same. Could it be caused by something else in the system?

We're going to have to try a number of different permutations to see if we can work out what's happening. Because it could get a bit confusing, could you send an email to support@ambientdesign.com and we'll handle this via mail then post the results in case anyone else has the problem.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

No tools selection via shortcut

I'm experiencing similar problems. German (Austrian) keyboard, MacOS X 10.4.11, ArtRage Studio Pro 3.0.7. For now I detected that all the shortcuts to select a tool like pencil, oil brush and so on do not work. When I try to set a key for the pencil, there is no reaction to pressing "P" for instance. Looking at the file "currentshortcuts.sck" I find that there is no more entry for the pencil.

Rotating the canvas, moving it or zooming in or out with shortcuts works. Also changing the size of a tool works or quitting the application.

Any suggestions please?