ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Thinking of purchasing, but have questions

Thinking of purchasing, but have questions

I'm thinking of buying a version of this program, and was hoping some of you may be able to answer some questions I have about this program.

1. Does it let you control brush pressure, size, tilt, and things like that with a keyboard shortcut? (like you can do in photoshop)?

2. I'm a user of photoshop (not an expert but not a newbie), and found that it is really hard to get painterly effects in photoshop. Art rage seems to me like it is a lot easier and simpler to get much more realistic, organic, artsier effects. Is this true?

3. what file formats does this support? I know it supports bmp, jpeg, png, psd, does it support .ai files? what other file formats does it support?

Thanks a lot guys!

Okay so on page 6 of the tips and tricks forum I found a thread that mentions you can control the size of tools with the arrows, but it makes no mention of pressure, tilt, or other parameters. Can you adjust these with keyboard shortcuts as well?

Note: My response will be based on settings available for ArtRage Studio Pro.

Some of what you're asking about is done and available, but it doesn't necessarily mean it responds or works like one would expect when comparing it to something like Photoshop. So I'd recommend you download the trial version so you can test it first hand.

Quote Originally Posted by yukonhoo View Post
    1. Does it let you control brush pressure, size, tilt, and things like that with a keyboard shortcut? (like you can do in photoshop)?

One can change the size of the brush by holding down Shift and left click dragging the cursor over the canvas or by using shortcut keys for it (these shortcuts can be user defined). The Pressure effects (should the tool utilize it) can be changed by assigning shortcut keys for it. Some tools use tilt, but since my tablet doesn't have the tilt feature I haven't explored what can be done with it). All of these setting can also be changed via the settings panels.

2. I'm a user of photoshop (not an expert but not a newbie), and found that it is really hard to get painterly effects in photoshop. Art rage seems to me like it is a lot easier and simpler to get much more realistic, organic, artsier effects. Is this true?

In my opinion, yes. ArtRage is very good at mimicking true art media, which set's it apart from programs like Photoshop.

3. what file formats does this support? I know it supports bmp, jpeg, png, psd, does it support .ai files? what other file formats does it support?

ArtRage SP can save to ptg (it's own file format) and export to PNG, TIFF, GIFF, JPEG, BMP and PSD. It doesn't handle Illustrator file handling.

-----EDIT for others who may be wondering-----

It might be worth checking out the gallery here and seeing what can be done with the program. Here's the link to the gallery: http://www2.ambientdesign.com/gallery/index.php

As for examples of how it mimics true art media, here's some of my experiments (click on images to see larger versions):

Watercolor side by side test:

Everything on this book cover, aside from the tape, was drawn on with AR (stains included):

Pencil Tool drawing:

Oil Paint Brush:

...and here's another oil brush tool image. You'll find more of this one (as well as some tips on how I did it) here: LINK

Last edited by Someonesane; 03-15-2010 at 08:57 AM.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

alright, thanks for the info! I'm going to download a trial version, but I wasn't sure if the manual is included in the trial (whch lists the shorcut keys).

Just one last question - you don't need a tablet for this program right?

alright, thanks for the info! I'm going to download a trial version, but I wasn't sure if the manual is included in the trial (whch lists the shorcut keys).

Just one last question - you don't need a tablet for this program right?
    No, you don't need a tablet to use it, though for anyone who want's to really take advantage of a drawing program I'd recommend one. Many of the shortcuts in ArtRage Studio Pro can be changed to whichever key (or key combination's) you want.

The manual is included in the demo version, and you can find shortcut keys for altering pressure and size listed under Tools in the Keyboard Shortcuts panel.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Quote Originally Posted by MattRage View Post
    The manual is included in the demo version, and you can find shortcut keys for altering pressure and size listed under Tools in the Keyboard Shortcuts panel.

But if he's using a mouse, pressure won't work, will it?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug B View Post
    But if he's using a mouse, pressure won't work, will it?
    No, there's no way to get variation of pressure while creating a stroke from the mouse. His question was in regards to controlling it by shortcuts though. Unless I'm misunderstanding something, which has happened before.

Quote Originally Posted by Someonesane View Post
    No, there's no way to get variation of pressure while creating a stroke from the mouse. His question was in regards to controlling it by shortcuts though. Unless I'm misunderstanding something, which has happened before.
    Maybe it's me that's misunderstanding, but the fact that in his first item he said " Does it let you control brush pressure, size, tilt, and things like that with a keyboard shortcut?" leads me to think that he wants to control pressure and tilt, which I don't think can be done with a mouse.

Cheers

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Doug B View Post
    Maybe it's me that's misunderstanding, but the fact that in his first item he said " Does it let you control brush pressure, size, tilt, and things like that with a keyboard shortcut?" leads me to think that he wants to control pressure and tilt, which I don't think can be done with a mouse.
    From my point of view, the "it" in the question is in reference to ArtRage, not a mouse, since Yukonhoo didn't mention mice until a follow up post. The only thing spoken of was the program ArtRage, leaving me to understand the question as, "Does ArtRage let you control brush pressure, size, tilt...", rather then, "Does a mouse let you control brush pressure, size, tilt...".

While the pressure and tilt cannot be controlled dynamically by a mouse, as a pen/tablet normally allows, one can control the pressure using shortcut keys and still use a mouse to make the line at a single desired pressure and size. I'm not sure about shortcut keys for tilt, because my tablet doesn't support it and therefore I've never looked, but I do know tilting can be set for some tools via the settings panel (which I use fairly often with the pencil tool).