ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: colour palette

colour palette

I've just started to use artrage 3 and finding it wonderful .... although somewhat confused with the colours. They seem really bright and unrealistic, even when printed out. What should I be doing??? Jenny

Perhaps you could post a sample of your image that is bright and unrealistic? Would be good to see what it looks like on screen.

Unhappy colours

Thanks guys,
    All this is new to me including the whole forum thing so apologise in advance if I fudge on the etiquite.
    I usually paint botanicals in watercolour so this is quite a departure for me.
    Sorry, can't for the life of my work out how you reduce the file to meet the attachment requirements?
    Cheers
    Last edited by jennyarthur57; 03-15-2010 at 01:08 PM. Reason: oops

A how to or tutorial to calibrate your monitor for ArtRage would be handy.... I guess the proper way would be by purchasing one of those Spyder devices, but they are expensive for something you would only use once or twice an year....

Cheers

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by jennyarthur57 View Post
    Sorry, can't for the life of my work out how you reduce the file to meet the attachment requirements?
    Cheers

Try this:
    1. Be sure to first save it as a PTG file in case you wish work on it later. PTG files are ArtRage specific files, which save all the information you'll need for working on the image again later.
      • To save your work for later, select File > Save painting As from the menu bar.
    2. With the original saved, it's safe to Resize the image for posting on the web.
      • Do this by going to Edit > Resize the Painting (do not confuse this with the Crop/Expand the Canvas option).
        • Anything under 1000 by 1000 pixels should be fine for posting here.
    3. Now you'll want to export the image for posting on the web.
      • Do this by selecting File > Export Image File from the menu bar.
        • When saving for the web, it'd be best to save it as a jpeg, because these files are compressed to a relatively small file size. (* See steps on changing the amount of compression AR applies to JPEG's below).
        • When saving for print, it'd be best to use TIFF or PNG.
        • When you need to keep transparency intact (no background for example), GIF or PNG can be used (I recommend PNG).
    * If your JPEG saves appear to grainy for your liking, you can change the compression rate for them. Here's how to do it:
    1. Select Edit > ArtRage Preferences from the menu bar to open the ArtRage Preferences panel.
    2. Locate and open the Export group from the list.
      • If you're having trouble finding the group, click on the menu tab (the square with four horizontal lines across it, in the upper right corner of the panel) and choose Close All Groups. The Export group should be at the bottom.
    3. With the Export Group open, you will see a scrub bar showing the percentage of compression currently being applied to JPEG files when exported. Either click and drag on the scrub bar to slide the amount up and down or click over the percentage number and type in the amount of compression you want to have applied.
      • I have mine set to 85%.
    4. Click OK at the bottom of the panel when you're done.
      • These settings will remain saved this way, even after you've closed the program, so you'll only need to do this once.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

thank you

I have done what you suggested, thank you very much for being so generous with your knowledge. I'll now try to post my painting, hopefully you don't have to use a new thread. Cheers, Jenny
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	practic ARTR frog.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	105.0 KB 
ID:	43184  

Maybe I don't exactly understand what you're trying to do, so I could be leading you astray.... This is a simple way to reduce the bright colours. I often have that problem too

You can change the saturation level of the painting (each layer individually) by adjusting the layer colours in the "Edit" menu.

I've attached a couple of screen shots - it's probably easier than trying to explain it.

You can also go to the Art Supplies section of the forum and download lots of color palettes and color pickers to install and use in ArtRage. Of course, you'll have to re-paint to get the new colours, but it's an option for your next painting.

Juz has supplied one I use for the same reasons you give - colours too bright. You can find it at:
    http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...ad.php?t=20137

By the way, I like the painting, even if you think the colours are too bright
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by 337_lee; 03-18-2010 at 08:39 PM. Reason: image files
    I don't have digital... I don't have diddly squat
    It's not having what you want... it's wanting what you've got

Arrow Message from ArtRageUs e-Magazine Team

Hi and welcome!

You will find many tutorials including videos as well as the art supplies and much more here in the forums. There are many Ragers that will try to help you also, anytime as you have seen.

Have you seen the ArtRageUs e-Magazine yet? The March Issue has many links to all of the needed material that may help a new user and old users too and much more. You can download the mag from the post.... ArtRageUs e-Magazine in the general chat forum. We hope that you enjoy it and find it useful.
    Also, could you contact me directly at; bobbyray02@msn.com
    We would like to speak with you as a new user.....Thanks very much and we hope you truly enjoy Artrage as we do!

BRAY