ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peter's Mountain Tutorial

Peter's Mountain Tutorial

I am learning to do something that I have always wanted to do. I was afraid to even try.
    I commend Peter on his self taught brilliant techniques and his generous spirit in sharing and passing on this joy of painting.

Now I ask for help again with this painting. I don't know how to make trees as far as back ground trees. I am also still learning how to paint water.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Sandy
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Sandra, I think I may have a few ideas that will help with the trees, but I have a plumbing problem that has to be fixed right away.
    I'll get back with you when I can.

Mike

Alexandra, you are CERTAINLY getting the hang of it better than I. I'm still having trouble with that lighting effect on the rocks.

Can't wait to see yours when it is finished
    +I only see the good qualities in people. Not being faultless myself, I won't probe into the faults of others+

Mike, you poor thing, I thought maybe there was something to brownies or angry goblins because my sink plumbing stayed broken. I had four plumbers, my husband, my brother in law, and then myself. My father in law Bless him came over and found the trouble. The ring thinga majig (forgive me) was too small that came with the kit, and he went to an old hardware store in town and brought everything in and replaced it and a few pipes. Something so small can be so big. I was thrilled not to have to wash my dishes in buckets anymore. Good luck.

Thanks Alan, but I wish that I could get the same effect that Peter has on those rocks! I am going to keep on trying though. On these I used the pencil on 100% soft for the highlights, and I will check on size of point. I used oil on the second mountain.
    Thank you so much! When will I see yours?

I love the detailing you have so far. It's turning out to be really beautiful. It wouldn't suprise me to see a handsome wolf pack strolling up or a mountain goat. That looks like a perfect spot to get some sun.

Perhaps you could look at some landscape mountains and get some reference ideas? I'm not sure how far back you want them to go.

Disregard, and go down to the next post.

Last edited by barnburner; 03-13-2010 at 11:05 AM.

(This works for 2.5 - have no idea if it will for Artrage 3.0)
    If you were interested in putting trees on the background mountain, it would be best to do that before you reduce the opacity on that layer.
    The top of the foreground mountains, as they appear,
    would seem to be above tree line, so there would be few, if any trees there.

This may, or may not be exactly what you are looking for, but using the same tools and methods on a smaller scale, works for making trees in the distance also.
    The glitter tool works really well on trees, evergreens, and shrubs. Changing the size, pressure,
    shape,etc gives a great many different looks.

I didn't take time to make this look good, just wanted to get something to you to take a look at. Hopefully
    it will give you some ideas that will help.

I used the brush for this tree trunk since speed was
    a factor. The tube tool will make some really interesting tree
    trunks and branches, but you have to invest a lot of
    time with that method.

You can also, just "build" the foilage and then add the
    trunk and fit in the segments of the branches, and background where you choose, but I find this method
    works better for me most of the time.

If you have any questions I'll be glad to try and answer them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tree 1.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	257.5 KB 
ID:	42955   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tree 2.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	313.7 KB 
ID:	42956   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tree 3.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	316.8 KB 
ID:	42957   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tree 4.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	343.2 KB 
ID:	42958  
    Last edited by barnburner; 03-13-2010 at 11:10 AM.

Megan, Thank you-that is a wonderful idea.

Mike, Thank you so much. I cannot wait to try this! I really appreciate your time and consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra View Post
    Megan, Thank you-that is a wonderful idea.

Mike, Thank you so much. I cannot wait to try this! I really appreciate your time and consideration.
    Glad to offer what little I know..
    I hope that it is of some help.
    Feel free to holler with any questions.

I have a painting in my gallery "The Old Barn" where I scattered trees in the background, but it doesn't seem to fit here. I am still trying your method as well Mike. I think I will be working on this one for a while. Sure makes me appreciate these landscapes done by Peter, Robert, and others here that paint them so well.
    Also, I want to add more space to the bottom of the painting. I tried resizing, but I could not add. Anyone know how to do that?