ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: First Snowfall

First Snowfall

I tried to go with something soft and subtle. I feel that there's something missing, yet I like what I've done so far with it.

What do you think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	First Snowfall.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	23.8 KB 
ID:	42881  
    Lolalot's here! Everyone can party now!

Nice feeling of depth. The shadowing is good so far. Good location for the horizon. What are all those white dots in the picture? Are they there for a reason?

Also, there are a lot of subtle vertical lines in the foreground. Do they have a purpose?

Right now this could be either snow or water. You have a lot of room to decide which way to go. Will be interesting to see what you do with this.

You have a nice start to this. I'll offer up a little tip for snowflakes that I've used. It works in 2.5 - not sure about 3.0.
    Use the glitter tool,grit shape, size 11 or smaller, pressure 30.
    spread the white grit around in an area, then use the eraser, with very low softness and pressure settings.
    Just high enough that erasing is not easy. It should take several swipes to remove a little. That allows you to "thin" down the white grit, so that it becomes
    snowflakes, with varying size flakes.

Carl,

Thanks for your comments.

Now the title is labled first snowfall, so the white dots all over the canvas is the snow.

The vertical lines are what help reflect the sky/make the waves. (many thanks to Khalid btw)

Yes, it's water.

I wanted to be able to make it look like a scenery picture and not have too much going on, sort of a calm sort of picture. I can also see rain drops in this one, I can also see a leaf just floating out in the middle of all that water. So yeah, I have a lot of options, but I think that if I can keep it to one thing, I can probably focus on what going on in the picture instead of trying to find something else to put there.

Mike,

I tried out what you said and I saw that it didn't really spread and being as I wanted to keep the title as true as possible I tried to keep doing the glitter, but I made the size to 13% and the pressure 10% and the picture below is what I got.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	First Snowfall_mike.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	43123  

Very good. I like that a lot!
    That soft reflection on the water is really good.

Great!

I like your new snow. That was a good idea barnburner had. Thanks for showing what your setting were and the results.

No problem, Carl. I didn't know what kind of ideas I could be putting into this picture, but then it started flooding in as soon as I posted it so it was kinda strange.

But thanks for your input! I was able to get some more ideas also with the snow!