ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Import Image To Layer - Odd behaviour?

Import Image To Layer - Odd behaviour?

I wanted to reuse a logo from one painting in another, so I cropped the bit I wanted out of the original and saved it as a PNG using a photo edit program. But how to get it into another painting?

In my new painting, I tried the "File->Import Image File To Layer" option, but either it did something weird, or else I have the wrong idea about what it should do.

When I use that function, I can pick my logo file. A new layer then appears, with my logo in it, except it has been scaled to the size and aspect ratio of the painting. OK, maybe this is the correct behaviour, but not useful in this particular instance.

HOWEVER, when I click on anything, I get a "Please Wait - Artrage is Busy" message, and then after a delay the stretched logo disappears and leaves a blank layer. This doesn't seem like the expected behavior...

I am sure there are better ways to do what I want anyway - I'm just about to have a go at creating a sticker since I haven't done that yet.

Windows XP Pro / Wacom Intuos 4 / Artrage 3.0.6
    "Beauty is truth, truth beauty," - that is all
    Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.

Importing an image to a new layer should be as easy as dropping a copied selection onto the canvas, so something doesn't sound right there. Once the image is imported in, it should be it's actual size (the dimensions it was when you saved it) and it should be surrounded by the transformation box (with the knobs that can be used to stretch and rotate the image). Once the image is where you want it placed, rotated and rescaled on it's layer, right clicking and selecting "apply transformation" or hitting the Enter Key should apply the changes.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

I cant duplicate this behaviour - importing a PNG to a new layer appears to work as expected.
    What are your painting dimensions? And can you email me the failing PNG?
    It could be a specific PNG file causing problems.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

OK, Sorry for the delay - I have been away from the computer.

I think have figured out what was happening. I was painting on a large canvas (3500 x 2500) and I was zoomed in quite a lot, and not on the centre of the canvas.

When I imported the PNG, it appeared out of my visible area, so all I saw was a layer appear with a distorted view of the imported image. When I clicked somewhere it added the imported image to a layer, but I still wasn't looking at it and it was too small to see on the layer preview. Hence I said 'huh, that didn't work...' and deleted the new layer.
    "Beauty is truth, truth beauty," - that is all
    Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.