ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Any idea how to simulate a fake brush?

Any idea how to simulate a fake brush?

Hi folks!

Any idea how to simulate a fake brush?

What do I mean?

I have to admit, that I mostly use other software for making images - Photoshop in the first place, because it is
    much faster when working on very large poster size images.

Only the last steps I do with ArtRage. I use ArtRage to give the images a painted look with canvas
    surface and brush strokes. Importing an image and adding a canvas is easy, but adding the brush stroke
    look is a problem.
    Of course I can draw the whole picture again in AR, what is quite a pain in the a****, because I work
    in print size which makes quite large files and is a verrrry lot of extra work and AR3 is not very fast after all.

So I wonder, if it is possible to simulate some sort of fake brush - a dry brush without color with only the purpose
    to add the brush stroke look to the color? Or maybe call it a brush shaped palette knife.

I tried some dry brush settings with white color and the automatic color mode at tracing images, but they failed.
    The stroke structures were hardly visible. However size settings preview on tools larger than 100% do not really exist anyway.

Maybe someone has a better idea to simulate such a fake brush tool?
    It would be a large improvement for refinishing the pictures in AR that were created with other software before.

(A tool like that should be configurable like the canvas surfaces for different roughness and inner size and blending.)

Regards.
    Kunst muss nicht immer kompliziert sein!

Look at the groove and vein brush in the art supplies section.

And just out of curiosity what sizes do you normally work with? I have been doing somewhere close to 9700x7800 in art rage, in order to print off a decent size picture. I dont think you can go much bigger than that currently, it always says there isnt enough memory. But the program runs decent at that size.

I havent messed with photoshop much so i dont know what sizes it handles.

I don't know if Artrage will be able to do what you are wanting because of the way the thinners work:-

-When set to low thinner, you get the dimension of the paint you are looking for but no transparency.

-When set to high thinner you get the transparency you want but no dimension to the paint.

You could try painting on your printed canvas with a gel medium, have a look at this thread by Briex, maybe you can adjust the technique to your needs.
    http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...ighlight=briex

Other than that I think you may be stuck with repainting like you are currently doing.
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)

Hey Narf,

Not sure if this is what you are wanting but you could try to paint an under painting on a layer below the image you import. This would allow the dimensional texture of the brush to show through on your image without adding color. It appears that the paint texture on a bottom layer will show through all layers in a project. Sometimes this is an unwanted effect but in your case it may be what you are looking for.
    "The significance is hiding in the insignificant. Appreciate everything."
    Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by Awakenedart View Post
    Look at the groove and vein brush in the art supplies section.

And just out of curiosity what sizes do you normally work with? I have been doing somewhere close to 9700x7800 in art rage, in order to print off a decent size picture. I dont think you can go much bigger than that currently, it always says there isnt enough memory. But the program runs decent at that size.

I havent messed with photoshop much so i dont know what sizes it handles.
    Well, there are only some functions of the new AR3 Pro which are slow, and I
    miss some of Photoshop's tools, that's why I use it for the prework.
    Especially when I scan some of my sketches there is additonal work to do.
    I plan to print images on canvas too, so I have to add some unimportant fake
    content for the edges and as I partially use copy and paste and the stamp for it,
    it is easier to do this work in PS. This kind of work is more image processing than drawing.
    For different kind of work I just use the software that is most
    specialized to it.

That's all.

Photoshop can really handle veeeery large images :P
    Kunst muss nicht immer kompliziert sein!