ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your old AR2?

Your old AR2?

Hi Everyone,

Last weekend I attended an inspiring workshop hosted by Visual Art Network South Africa.
    I met artists, some of whom are underprivileged and had not even heard of ArtRage. I was trying to explain how great it is to have this program where you able to make many paintings, and its just like the real thing.

Then an idea came to mind: if I could find just a few members somewhere out there on the World Wide Web who have already upgraded to AR3 - but still have AR2 hanging around but doing nothing - and would be willing to donate their old AR2 to an artist in need?
    From my part I am willing to go to their homes (if need be) to help people get started with the program and registered as Members.

As we all know, after upgrading to AR3 the old license for AR2 is not upgradeable to AR3, and so this would be a once-off gift for someone to use your old AR2 as is. And seeing as its a gift perhaps it could be arranged that these particular license numbers are not for re-sale either?

And to make it all legitimate, perhaps this could be done via the AR Members page - where such artists would need to register to gain access to their AR2 gift license.

It would be beneficial in two ways:
    It will enable a few artists who would otherwise not use digital software, to get started.
    AND
    It will potentially open up a whole new market of AR users as the more artists out there using AR the better

This is just asking those who don't need to re-sell their old AR2 programs, as only a handful are needed to start the AR2 ball rolling in these areas...

Curses. I would have, but I already passed mine on to someone. In the hope pf addicting them into buying the full version (course if they do, I could have it back...)

edit: actually, get details and I could put something up on the AR3 squidoo page, that's still getting a couple of hundred hits a week so you might get something

You could at first use the starter-edition 2.5 http://www.artrage.com/artragedemo.html

Hans

What does the Art Rage Team say about this? I don't want to violate any software licensing rules. If it becomes sanctioned by Art Rage, then I am willing. I never plan to go back to 2.5 as I love 3.6.

Perhaps we can surrender our license to Art Rage to release for underpriviledged people who can be gifted it. ????

Thanks so much for your replies

Flynn, that sounds great.
    Let me know what details you need and I will provide.
    As we speak I have one woman in mind who is very keen. She was telling me how studio space and the general cost of materials is such a limitation for her - and thats one big advantage of digital, that you can keep working and flexing your creative muscle with a good program like AR - and then when you next work in real media if you choose to, you will be so much more experienced.

Hans, I am aware of the demo version and this will come in handy for many others. But my intention is to just get a couple of people up and going with what is a new concept: Digital.
    This will be a totally new experience for the 3 artists I have in mind, and I imagine they will initially need more time than the demo (is this a month?) will give to get to grips with it.
    But then once they have got going, they will show their friends and those people will be able to download the demo version.

Its not really the cost of AR2 thats the issue here but that these artists will need a very good reason to lay out for such commodities as tablets etc when they are already strapped by cost of art materials.

I am not suggesting that these artists are on-the-breadline poverty stricken either, but I wished that I had a great big commission then I would purchase extra licenses so that I can offer these because I really believe digital software is a very liberating thing for artists to have.

Victorianartist, I will never do anything that violates Ambient software rules and am dead against piracy. The way I understand this is that it is a unique way to give away something that you no longer need as well as promote AR among a new group of artists.
    Once these artists have the experience of AR2, I believe they will be very inclined to purchase AR3. And all I am wanting to do is start off that experience.

I agree that it might be right to have the AR team host this... but of course this would mean extra website work when they already have enough to do.

Another way around it would be to have just a few gifts made one to one - like Flynn did, by personally gifting your old license number. Just a few - I am not asking for anything more than to enable a few artists with something you no longer need.
    But perhaps in fairness to yourself, these gift licenses should be unsaleable so that you know you gift wasn't sold on.

Just some thoughts with a sincere desire to do some good in the world.
    The purpose of this post is not to set up some big charity for artists, but just to recycle something of value to a handful of artists.

PS: I don't believe in the pity game, and so this post is not asking you to you feel sorry for anyone - as my use of the word 'underprivileged' might well have applied to me when I first got started.
    I would just like to show other artists what a wonderful tool AR2 can be to everyone, because digital medium is pretty much an elitist medium in my neck of the woods although I see it as a very valuable tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Rowena View Post
    Thanks so much for your replies

Flynn, that sounds great.
    Let me know what details you need and I will provide.
    As much info as possible, basically!
    Obviously the 'what is this, who's it for, and why' and an explanation of how exactly someone can go about doing it. For example, email their license number to a certain email? Do they get a receipt?
    Plus all the usual questions about what happens to their copy then (which I can probably find all the answers to myself )

Also, while this is aimed at people who've upgraded, what if they want to buy a 'new' version for someone? There'll need to be a way to indicate that you CAN upgrade with that copy.

Finally, the OLD free version is unlimited, timewise, in case you forgot (although its lack of layers, etc, won't demonstrate the potential of digital as well as you seem to want).

Finally, followup - will we get to see what happened later?

OK, I will need a while to contact these people to ask if I can publish their personal details etc. But it should be noted that they did not ask me to do this - this is just me in my own clumsy way trying to introduce newcomers to a new exciting medium.

My understanding is that any purchase of AR as a result of this or any other interaction is made independently, so no discount applies as a result of the 'gift', and perhaps then it should never be sold on?... but not sure how all this works.

I had forgotten about the old free version being unlimited as I think I had it for 1 week before I made the decision to purchase.

Of course I have no way of knowing if there will be any worthwhile follow up as a result of this - because even if I was smitten, perhaps others may not be and I would be mortified if your gift was to no greater good.
    And I have no guarantee of this...

I will in the meantime download the free version to see if I should just recommend this as a start up, because underprivileged or not (and even with our weak S.A currency), AR2 is still a very accessible price.

So yes, particularly as its unlimited time wise, perhaps the free version should be the starting point...

PS: I have just seen that AR2 is now only $20! ...by any standards this is certainly affordable, so perhaps the demo version is enough of a guide - and if people are interested by this then they are interested.

My perspective is that it changed my life... and I wanted to share this with them thats all.

Thanks

PSS: I have just downloaded the starter version, something I had completely forgotten about - and its a fine place to start and will certainly be enough for someone to see how they enjoy it, so I will pass this on to those artists I met.
    Last edited by Rowena; 03-10-2010 at 11:45 PM.

nope i'm still using it!

Earlier, another member asked if he could give his 2.5 version to his daughter--the Rage brothers said no, if I remember correctly. But it seems like a good idea you´ve got there Rowena.
    The only problem with humor is that no one takes it seriously.

Why not point them toward artrage 2.0 which was a free version. There are lots of places out there to download it. I am holding on to my ar 2.5. I still enjoy using it once in awhile. I would not give it away. I also remember the thread about passing on your 2.5 after upgrading and it was pretty much discouraged by the team. Encourage folks to buy their own. It is only 20.00.
    The disadvantaged who own a computer...could easily find the old free version online.
    Last edited by screenpainter; 03-11-2010 at 11:07 AM.