ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: resolution and size options

resolution and size options

I think considering how many people are asking for an option to edit the image resolution, so that we can work in 300dpi, it should be included in Artrage.

Also an option to choose between centimeters and inches when choosing a size of art work, not just in pixals.

Yes, the screen resolution doesn't make a difference when only using it for view on a pc, but for printing quality it is essential.
    That's why photoshop has that option.
    If I'm asked to do an illustration for print which is say , 10cm(w) x 15cm(h), as a professional I'd like to me able to immediately state the size and resolution when starting a new project , and not have to worry about formulas or mistakes for getting it ready and right for repro printing.
    Cosmicfxx

wouldn't say that image size doesn't really matter when doing paintings for the web/monitor or non-print in general. I hardly ever paint in 1/1 pixel mode, but rather something odd, and even when I do want to show the painting around I rescale it...

And nothing hinders you in working in 300dpi in Artrage. If your final output is 10x15cm then just multiply that with 300 and you have your image size. In my honest opinion I don't think of this a big deal.

It would be nice with some presets for sizes like A1, A2, A3,... A6 etc. and then be able to set the dpi there with it, but until we have that I don't think its a big workaround to calculate the image size you need.

If I'm not mistaken the Artrage team does intend to include this in some later release.
    Lead Concept Artist - NDS Denmark
    Illustrator
    www.petervillumsen.com

reply to pvillustrator

Unless you are familiar with a formula which I am not, how do you state that you'd like a canvas size of 10c x 15cm when starting a new project in Artrage , when it only gives you an option for pixal resolution? Really, please let me know. :?:

And the problem with resampling after the artwork is complete results in loss of image quality. And that I do not want.

I'm not aware of it, but I hope that the Team does have plans for it in future versions.
    Cosmicfxx

Re: reply to pvillustrator

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmicfxx
    Unless you are familiar with a formula which I am not, how do you state that you'd like a canvas size of 10c x 15cm when starting a new project in Artrage , when it only gives you an option for pixal resolution?
    It's just rudimentary math. DPI = Dots Per Inch, or Pixels Per Inch.

300 DPI = 118.11 pixels per centimeter (DPCM)

118.11 DPCM * 10 cm = 1181 pixels
    118.11 DPCM * 15 cm = 1772 pixels

Do the math in a spreadsheet for a bunch of standard image sizes you're expecting to need.

Some people are just mystified by this whole concept, which is unfortunate. I think the Photoshop dialog boxes which do this math for you actually confuse people more than help them to understand the relationship.
    --
    [ e d @ h a l l e y . c c ] Japanese-themed tees and gifts

Brilliant. Thanks a stack, Halley. Works perfect.
    Cosmicfxx

thanks Halley for further explanation..

... And if someone out there is still mystified with the 118,11dpcm this is how it is derived:

dpi is in inches (dots pr. inch) and to go from inches to centimeters you need to multiply with 2.54 (1 inch = 2.54 cm)

That is how 300 dots pr. inch equals 118.11 dots pr cm.

And I totally agree, Halley. The Adobe dialogue boxes have defentitively not helped people grasp this whole dpi/printing deal.
    Lead Concept Artist - NDS Denmark
    Illustrator
    www.petervillumsen.com

Even although it's much clearer to me now (thankyou Halley and pvillustrator) , I still believe it would be a good idea to include that option in Artrage, for two reasons.
    First, because there are many many many people out there who are very unfamiliar with the technicalities of the high tech, not to mention just pixals.
    Most art programs, not only Photoshop gives people that option...and that's just what it is, an option. :!:
    The second reason is that for someone like me, who sometimes has to do 10-30 illustrations in a day dew to extremely unbelievable deadlines, really doesn't have the time or will to do little calculations for every single illustration, when one has publisherers breathing down your neck.
    I repeat it is simply an option which should be included, to make the Users life just a little more easier :lol:
    Cosmicfxx

Yeah. For workflow purposes, if you're up against deadlines like that, might it not be useful to make yourself templates made in Photoshop or somewhere else? You could simply import a blank canvas at the right size and not have to calculate at all. That's assuming you have standard dimensions that you're working with.

I personally wouldn't want to have to do math each time. Yuck!

It would be a nice feature. But in the meantime, you have to work.

Yip D Akey, :shock: I'm afraid every single illustration is different. I'm given briefs with the sizes already decided by someone else.
    I thought of using Photoshop templates b4, but it would be just the same, extra hassle when you don't need it.
    But I'll be using the formula given by Halley in the meantime.
    Cosmicfxx

This is certainly something we have on our big list to consider. Thanks for the feedback!
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design