ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Portable Devices

Portable Devices

I have just begun an Animation degree that is based upon traditional drawing and have known about ArtRage for Ages (hey that rhymes ) and was wondering what portable devices people use?

Looking around at the market, the device I really like and is overkill is the HP TouchSmart TM2-1007TX but seems alot for a simple pad and pencil portable device to me.

Can you all please give me some heads up on what I could do to kill time on the way to and from Univeristy and practice practice, practice while killing the 2 hour trip each way.

Oh, and the devices I'm interested in must be able to be drawn onscreen, store images, and have a long battery life, let's say 4-6hrs minimum. Cheers in advance....

How about a sketchbook and some pencils?

Seriously.

But if you want portable ArtRage, look at old Compaq TC1100 tablet PCs. They have Wacom digitizers and you can still get them (and parts like extra batteries and replacement styli) on eBay.

Quote Originally Posted by arenhaus View Post
    How about a sketchbook and some pencils?

Seriously.

But if you want portable ArtRage, look at old Compaq TC1100 tablet PCs. They have Wacom digitizers and you can still get them (and parts like extra batteries and replacement styli) on eBay.
    With some searching, the Compaq did come across my path. Thanks for the reply, and yes pencils and paper seem to be the main medium that's still portable.

Yet pulling out a knife to sharpen your pencils can get you arrested in Melbourne these days

By the way, at home I use a Wacom intuos 4 with a nice big monitor, I'm old school and like those walks and find a nice quiet spot to draw. So having an electric screenpad allows me to not only speedpaint/scribble but tranfer them to my main PC and enhance them from there.

Just makes me wonder why you cannot get a simple electronic paper and pen product that can use ArtRage3. I suppose in this day and age it's like only wanting a mobile for making phone calls huh

This is what I am waiting for, it should be available quite soon, and not too bad price wise... http://www.apple.com/ipad/design/
    I think it sounds like it might suit you quite well too

I apologize in advance for mentioning another program on these forums (if it is breaking code of conduct please let me know) but i would highly reccomend Sketchbook pro on the iphone/ipod touch. SOme of the stuff done with sketchbook is amazing, and it can lead to good 'on the go' sketches to be used in art rage.

Thanks each of you for your views. I'm not sure how good the Sketchbook Pro is but reminds me of the Photoshop bloat, hell even Paintshop Pro got bloated and I'm sticking with v7. Just hope I can get it to run on the Tablet.

I found a Compaq TC1100 Tablet PC for AU$370 and these have a 10in screen @ 1024x768 compared to the iPhone @ 320x480 and can use a pen directly as the iPhone's Pogo addon is clumsy and very inaccurate.

I also looked at the iPad, but for the $ it's on par with the HP TouchSmart TM2-1007TX anyway.

My other issue atm is paying for my hospital stay in the last week and another operation coming in a month or so. For the moment the TC1100 will have to do, besides it's a little easier to use than a pen and paper while bed ridden

Having a thread here about which Tablets people use would be good so that when I get more $ I can always upgrade while dreaming of a Cintiq.

thanks again for the input

I don't think iPad would work as a good painting or sketching device for a very simple reason: touchscreen is not the same as pressure-sensitive digitizer. Unless you are into finger-painting, better stick with Wacom.

I have a TC1100. It works fine. (In fact, the icons on my home page were painted on that TC1100.) I miss the tilt sensitivity a little, but generally pressure is enough, since ArtRage does not use tilt much. Screen is OK, a little on the dim side - make allowances for that as you paint.

Alias Sketchbook runs fine on it - I tested it, but I don't use it. ArtRage is better.

Painter 11 also runs fine.

It feels a little sluggish at times due to a single-core processor, but nothing can be done about that.

Oh, and it is an excellent web browser and book reader device. Full-page PDF books are very readable. With keyboard detached, it weighs 1300 g - I can hold it easily with one hand, but your mileage may vary.

The trick with such screen-with-digitizer devices is having to keep the stylus at a consistent angle so it does not throw calibration off, and looking at the cursor, not the stylus, for precision. Otherwise it's quite comfortable.

As for sharpening pencils with a knife... have you perhaps thought of using a can sharpener while on the go?
    Last edited by arenhaus; 03-06-2010 at 09:46 PM.

I use a Lenovo X200T. I've had it for about a year now and love the system. I'd post links but I'm too new to the forums, they don't want me spamming.

There is a new model of it out now with a much faster processor so take a look at that as well. Its the x201T

Unfortunately this tablet does not come cheap

One thing great for the person on the go, when being conservative with a battery in good health, you can easily get 8 hours of battery life out of this on a 6 cell.

On the ipad, With its current architecture it will not run artrage as the operating system is not mac OSX. I would avoid it anyway due to the lack of pen, but thats just me.

A shame the OS for the iPad won´t be compatible with AR3. It´s now touting a 10 hour battery life--would´ve been perfect.
    The only problem with humor is that no one takes it seriously.

ipad doesnt even multitask... really big let down from apple if you ask me...