ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tilt

tilt

Im sure this has been discussed. But i love the function of pencil shading in painter xi. Where the further you lay then pen tablet down it acts like your using the edge of the pencil. Honestly i dislike that program as a whole but have considered purchasing it just for that option...

Unless I am missing something and AR3 already has that?

The tilt is managed by artrage for Airbrush and Pencil . Maybe in some other tools that I have missed ?
    You can also use it in the sticker's spray, but I did not find de way to modify the shape of the bursh depending of the tilt ...

Quote Originally Posted by Likoum View Post
    You can also use it in the sticker's spray, but I did not find de way to modify the shape of the bursh depending of the tilt ...
    Sadly, the tablet I use doesn't have tilt support, but I assume it would work much the same way the other variation dials work. The idea being, if one sets the tilt column variation to 100% along the scale row, the result should be that the more you tilt your pen, the closer to 100% scale the sticker will get. To change the shape in terms of visual style, one would likely have to make a sticker sheet with a number of different images on it, which could then be accessed by setting the tilt variation for the sheet column or sheet row (depends on how you lined the stickers up) to 100%, with the result being that AR would choose a sticker further down the row or column the more the user tilted the pen.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

I was messing with the tilt for the pencil but it doesnt respond much to the tilt of my wacom pen, it seems to be more of an adjustment in the settings than anything.

I have had to put the tilt sensitivity to high in the wacom driver in order to make it work correctly in artrage. Now it works fine

And thanks for the suggestion Somesane : I'll give it a try in near future

Thumbs up

I want to passionately second this request. I've tried upping the tilt sensitivity in System prefs (Mac OS X 10.5, Wacom Intuos 4), but the pen tilt doesn't map to the tilt control in the settings panel.

I got the basic version of Painter, Corel sketchpad with the Tablet, and sadly the pencil tilt feature in there is so natural that for pencil sketching I have to turn to it.

As a non-programmer I don't see why it would be hard to map the pen tilt input data of the stylus to the tilt setting of a tool, or does it not like changing mid stroke, perhaps...

I would much prefer to be able to stick with Artrage Studio Pro for pencil sketching! Same applies for Airbrush, and I think tilt would be a great addition to chalk...

Please give us proper tilt

I would like to strongly second this thread. Tilt support for pencil is the purchase decision maker for me.

I find it underwhelming that ArtRage provides tilt support for airbrush, but Pencil tilt is controlled via explicit manual parameter change only. I mean... what's the rationale behind that?! Ok, maybe one may want constant tilt setting, but you could add a check box, switching the behavior from manual to pen tilt control, could not you?

So far, ArtRage looks very promising on the one hand, and astonishingly puzzling with some decision making on the other.

Please, fix the pencil, I will buy your product immediately!

Quote Originally Posted by MADjestic View Post
    I find it underwhelming that ArtRage provides tilt support for airbrush, but Pencil tilt is controlled via explicit manual parameter change only. I mean... what's the rationale behind that?!

I'm pretty sure this is about the programming behind how the Pencil tool works, rather then the AR team simply not wanting to put it in there. More then likely, the Airbrush can use a dynamic tilt, because the tool doesn't need to interact with the texture of the canvas or layer (so it works more like traditional art program tools). The Pencil tool, however, is designed to pick up the texture of the canvas or layer. This means that the lighter one applies pressure, the less the Pencil mark will dig into the surface. So it doesn't just get lighter in opacity like other programs, but actually skips gaps in the surface texture (same goes for the Crayon, Chalk and the Oil brush when it runs low on paint). In this respect, it works more like a true pencil would on paper then most programs. I figure there's something in that type of programing that forces them to keep the tilting set while the stroke is made.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

I totally agree with you. Please, AmbientDesign, make a better pencil-tool, using the tilt-function of my tablet. I really like the program - and I use Painter too. What I donīt like with painter is, that itīs just too much for me now and the chaotic interface and slow performance. All this is better in ArtRage, but the pencil is .... (and way better in Painter!!)

Any thoughts from the devs on this? Can we look forward to this in the next major upgrade maybe?