ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft moving in on ArtRage!

Microsoft moving in on ArtRage!

PROJECT GUSTAV is being developed by Microsoft. I'm sure there are members who know about this, but I just got a video sent to me by a friend - from TechFest 2010. They are developing software that is AMAZINGLY like ArtRage. The demo showed a variable brush (Fan) and a mixing tray! You can put diff paint samples in this area, mix them, then apply the mix to the canvas. This is a feature I wish ArtRage Had. I hope the ArtRage Guys are aware of this, as Microsoft will try to dominate this segment of the market, too! And I feel very Protective of my ArtRage!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Project Gustav.JPG 
Views:	185 
Size:	218.9 KB 
ID:	42642  
    My Website - SkylarArt.com
    "Beauty Draws those who Draw Beauty" - Skylar

They have a ways to go. So far they have oil and chalk. Not even close to artrage. Have these people not heard of artrage??? Maybe a couple more years they will have watercolor. It should be awhile.
    The shadow of the tool was kinda cool I have to admit.

@ LSB Gustav looks really cool... love the finger smudging
    MS is not the only one thinking painting, heres a preview of what's in the lab for photoshop CS5
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BShE_jS8jLE
    they're all probably circling a dying corel hehehe

Photoshop hasn't really sold me on its painting but its patchmatching tech looks amazing
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgKjs8ZjQNg

@Sweedie, Expression has come down a fair bit in price but yeah is still expensive especially if your looking at buying it on top of Creative Suite. The MSDN subscription includes it for free though if a company has already bought that.
    Last edited by Juz; 03-04-2010 at 10:53 AM.
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)

Quote Originally Posted by gzairborne View Post
    They have a ways to go. So far they have oil and chalk. Not even close to artrage. Have these people not heard of artrage???
    gz, letīs hope they donīt hear too much about ArtRage and try to buy it! Once a big company gets its hands on something it generally stops being developed or it just disappears.
    The only problem with humor is that no one takes it seriously.

AR is definately on the forefront of this. I'm not sure it takes that much to bring other tools on line, once the basics are worked out. I'll bet MS's version will be a heck of a lot more $$$. I can't tell you how much $$$ I've spent on diff programs just trying to do what AR makes so easy.
    There is something I noticed about the developers - Neither of the main programmers is an artist - they might want to get one in on the Ground Floor before too long.
    My Website - SkylarArt.com
    "Beauty Draws those who Draw Beauty" - Skylar

It certainly looks interesting, it's nice to see another company looking at digital paint from the point of view of a more realistic simulation. We're working on some stuff in the background for future updates, so we'll see where it all goes!
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Quote Originally Posted by MattRage View Post
    We're working on some stuff in the background for future updates, so we'll see where it all goes!
    Oooo the magic words.....
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)

I like the mixer, nifty brush simulation and the way the paint looks soft, more liquid like as every stoke is applied. I am a hard guy to impress and it looks good.

One thing this may do is to legitimize digital painting. You know that many in the "art world" look down their noses at art work produced via the computer. They feel it simply isn't art. We know better. Art Rage has simply been on the cutting edge of painting software. Some of the work we see in the forums is simply spectacular. Obviously, the big boys have taken notice. I can't believe they will win the loyalty that is evident with users of Art Rage.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottF View Post
    gz, letīs hope they donīt hear too much about ArtRage and try to buy it! Once a big company gets its hands on something it generally stops being developed or it just disappears.
    Well they already know about artrage. In their paper at I3D conference about their technology they cite ArtRage to be using "non physics 2D brushes" http://research.microsoft.com/pubs/1...shes-I3D10.pdf