ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Our new book illustrated in AR2.5 and 3

Our new book illustrated in AR2.5 and 3

Just some background. My wife and I have been working on this book over the course of 5 years. We were inspired to write and illustrate it by my great nephew Zak who is now 12, who has muscular dystrophy. He has spent most his life in a wheelchair-yet, playing and roughhousing and being in all other ways like any normal kid. We noted that he had no "hero's" ( at the time it was Buzz Lightyear for him) and thought we should do a book where the main character is in a chair, but has great adventures anyway. We avoided any moralizing about treatment of kids in chairs and instead just let the fun rip as if it made no difference or was even perhaps an improvement on walking on two legs!
    We have posted it on Blurb, and elected to sell it at cost, not making a penny.
    This is in the hopes that it will find its way into the hands of kids who need it.
    We hope at some point it will be picked up by one of the big non profits who work with kids in wheelchairs.
    I only know of one other book published with AR illustrations, which is " The Ballad of Piggity wood" by our own Boxy. I would be interested to know if there are more out there.
    Have a look if you are interested, there is also a sample illustration at the moment in the gallery.
    http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1197845
    "If I could only learn to be humble, I would be so proud." Author Unknown.

Boy, I sure hope Cripster sees this. He could doubtless appreciate it on several levels.

Bravo Rob! Well done. It's inspiring that young lad triggered some creative expansion in you guys. A book. Awesome.

I do hope it gets lots of exposure.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

I salute you! This is wonderful! I hope everything good that can come from this - Does! I am passing this along to diff people in my network.
    My Website - SkylarArt.com
    "Beauty Draws those who Draw Beauty" - Skylar

This is one of the coolest and most gracious things I've seen in a long time, Rob. It hits home to me because my father-in-law suffered from MD since he was a young teenager and ended up in a wheelchair for the rest of his life.

This is wonderful and such a delight to see being published! I hope many good things come of this!!!

Thanks all, it will be interesting to see what transpires. I will post anything major, ( someone like Jerry Lewis printing a few thousand to pass out to kids maybe?).
    Sorry about your father in law Eileen, at least he lived a life though, my great nephew will not make it through his teens. That is what finally made us get this done--we would never have forgiven ourselves had he not lived to see it finished. A few weeks ago he almost caught Pnuemonia- a death sentence if he did--and my heart almost stopped! PLEASE-just a little longer to get the book to you guy! He hung in. Whew.
    "If I could only learn to be humble, I would be so proud." Author Unknown.

Yes, my husband's father lived to be 50. With over 100 different strains of MD, he was fortunate to have a strain that came in his teenager's years as well as not being genetic. He of course had many, many complications in those years (both legs eventually amputated and pneumonia 4 to 5 times) and the final case of pneumonia is want caused his death.

I am SO glad that your nephew has been able to defy the odds and continues to be such a source of inspiration for you. I know the joy you must be feeling that this book is now published and your nephew is here to be able to see it and provide him the strength to fight and live on.

Awesome Rob. what a great project... congratulations on this step in its fruition. I hope it gets picked up also by a major label... it really should.

Picked up a copy for the office, congratulations on completing it!
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.