ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colors, blending colors (Rectification and corrections)

Colors, blending colors (Rectification and corrections)

I have a personal need to understand the colors. It's a personal thing. Maybe someone can tell me why. This thread is the initial result of my studies about color and the possibilities that the program provides in this area. So, pretty much as a clinical resident, diligently studying some aspects of color, I'm presenting to you the initial results of this study.

On this theme, you can consult the fantastic Alkratzer’s thread about color, and also the great teachings about color, from the artist Juz, consulting her stunning threads. See Danny the Fool’s thread about color whose link is here. Search also the section Tips and Tricks for this purpose. Search also the Main gallery and analyze and study the works of the great artists from ArtRage.

Initially I am posting these links with the names of colors so you can see how they can correlate with the colors from the AR3 picker. The names of colors
    SEE ALSO THE ATTACHED PDF.

Then I'm posting the Figures 1 to 5, which were meant to be self-explanatory.

If there is any doubt or misinterpretation, or if you want to make any criticism, or even add some interpretative aspect, you are welcome to do so.

Thank you for your attention.

EDITING: Figures 1,2,3 and 4 are definitely wrong.

These figures have been properly dealt with, following Juz guidelines.

See new figures later in this thread.

Juz thread link was fixed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	42538   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	02.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	40.6 KB 
ID:	42539   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	03.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	42540   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	04.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	42541  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Lima; 03-04-2010 at 01:18 PM.

.... and Figure 5. Thank you

Name:	05.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	45.8 KB 
ID:	42543  

This is fantastic Oriene! You say so much in a few simple examples and you remind us all that the motion and drama of a painting hinges so much on successfully handling all three aspects -- hue, value and intensity.

You are also right to point out that a painting with equal values/intensity is hard to find something that stands out in it.

Thanks for pointing out my thread, though I do feel that many of my own peculiar ideas about color work both for and against me at times. Anyone looking to them for guidance should be aware that their mileage may vary.
    Last edited by alkratzer; 03-05-2010 at 02:22 PM. Reason: minor correction

Besides being a great artist you are a very gentle person. Thanks for the comment. Your passion for color and music is absolutely contagious and very stimulating.

Glazing ............................. see the Figure.

Name:	GLAZING.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	42578  

Glazing: Concerning this technique, see the fantastic post "Unfinished work", published here in the forums, by the great artist Caesar.

Then, see HERE a glossary of art: many interesting things to read. Concepts and definitions regarding the colors are very well summarized.

I present here a plot of colors (colors published by the company Golden Colors) and their names against the color picker AR3. Next I tried mixtures of colors, as proposed by the company to see if I could achieve satisfactory results. I will repeat this kind of experiment with colors of other companies.

See the Figures. Mixing the colors is a great exercise in experimenting with colors.
    Thank you

Name:	Picker projection cópia.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	82.3 KB 
ID:	42617   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2hansa yellowmedium phtalo  bluegreen side quinacridone magenta naftol red cópia2.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	42620   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yellow grenn blue.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	42621  

There are two types of color mixing:
    1. Additive colour: The mixing of lights.
    2. Subtractive colour: The mixing of pigments.

On a monitor (additive) our primary colours are RGB and when we print (subtractive) they are CMY (K the knockout colour of black is added as Cyan Magenta and Yellow do not mix black). Artrage does some pretty clever stuff to make colours seem more like they are mixing in a subtractive way, but despite these efforts hard and fast rules about what occurs with paint may not necessarily translate when working with light.

Because on a computer everything is math, the RGB colour space can be represented in different ways. You can check and spin around many 3d models of RGB colour space out at the top of this page. http://www.stevenpigeon.org/Algorith...ces/index.html

You can see how choosing colours with the RGB colour space is not very intuitive by changing your colour picker to one of the RGB modes. This colour space is nice with math and better for programmers than artists.

HSL (Hue Saturation and Luminance) is the colour space that Artrage uses for the tint/tone picker. HSL provides a much more artist friendly way of choosing colours. Photoshop uses HSV for the same reason. You can read up on these colour models here:- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HSL_and_HSV
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Juz; 03-03-2010 at 03:35 PM.
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)

Hi Juz, thank you for the comment. I am aware of what you said. I do not feel very safe in this area. I am studying and learning. What I'm trying to do, is a simple way to correlate colors (published colors) and colors on the screen. trying to reproduce these colors on AR3. A simple and inexpensive way to study blending colors. A kind of visual approach. Sketch is using this capability in the opposite direction from the computer screen to the canvas. Thank you dear friend.

Figures 1, 2, 3 And 4 With Corrections
    .................................................. .................................................. ........................
    I apologize to all of you for the mistakes.

Name:	01.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	42652  
    Attached Images Attached Images