ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Music, Color and the Mystical Number 12

Music, Color and the Mystical Number 12

I debated posting this as an addition to the "Thoughts on Color" thread, but since this is going a bit more abstract with things, I thought I'd give it a solo posting.

Everyone is familiar with the traditional 12 position color wheel, but not everyone is familiar with the the school of thought that suggests that 12 positions on a wheel is a mystical mental framework that allows us to equate things like musical notes, the hours of the day, color and the months of the year. (More on this Here)

I cannot speak to the truth of any of the supposed mystical qualities of the number 12, but I do find it fascinating that the 12 colors on the wheel can be correlated to the 12 musical notes. I do feel musical sounds and colors are both basically vibrations within a spectrum of total light or sound. I've spent a lot of time in the past 3 years trying to represent music through painting. Here are a few observations I've put together along the way regarding the music/color relationship.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by alkratzer; 02-27-2010 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Minor correction

Part 2

Continuing

I went to your blog and "Delta Blues" is such a great painting -- I feel it's strongly connected to the music and to the feelings someone experiment when playing (I'm a musician myself too). Thanks for sharing it!

The content of the post is very very interesting -- I have a saxophonist friend who would go crazy about such topics

So how have I used this in actual paintings? I've experimented with taking the primary colors of a favorite chord in a song and using them as the basis for the color scheme of a painting.

For example, the Mile Davis song "Blue in Green" has an E7 #9 chord in it that I love because an unusual melody note is played against it.

Using the above method you would get the following

last piece

I have also made a few paintings of keyboards that more directly connects the colors of the spectrum with the musical notes

Superb idea, and now how I wish I knew how to identify chords and perhaps read music!
    I use music a lot for inspiration, but I can only go by ear - it would be so nice to be able to be more specific

What a truly fascinating post, alkratzer! I studied and played music seriously for a number of years; unfortunately, when I left for grad school there never was enough time for everything and I basically let the music go--at least seriously. Thanks for sharing this!
    The only problem with humor is that no one takes it seriously.

Scott, you're right, this thread is really fascinating. I downloaded the complete thread and I'm reading and studying it. I'm sure Al will further develop this theme. Simply exciting this correlation of colors and sounds.
    Al

AS far as i can see you used the color wheel and put it on top of the cord wheel, am I right? Must be working perfectly, because the pic you are showing on this thread is awsome.