ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Mask (AR Studio Pro + Carrara Pro NPR)

Mask (AR Studio Pro + Carrara Pro NPR)

Hey guys & gals,

Modeled a quick mask in a 3D app, then rendered out a base image (the dull grey one) using the NPR (non-photo realistic option in Carrara). Brought the base image into AR and painted away (end result is obviously the painted one). As usual I played around with different tools, layers & blending options. I also discovered the "smooth me" option of the pencil tool! It sure helps smooth out those jaggy lines.

I was trying for an old plaster cement like effect. Hope you like it. As always C & C's welcome.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mask_web.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	188.9 KB 
ID:	42418   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mask_npr_web.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	220.1 KB 
ID:	42419  

Yvan - This is very interesting. I have Carrera, but hardly ever use it because I find it bulky and awkward. Do you have any tips? I have the Manual (All 4 pounds of it!)
    My Website - SkylarArt.com
    "Beauty Draws those who Draw Beauty" - Skylar

This is a great idea! Well done.
    My real name is Neal Gilbertson, AKA Gilbert Neilson, AKA Jibes.
    I'm a musician too. Please come hear my music at:
    http://www.icompositions.com/artists/jibes

Thanks for the kind replies guys

Skylar, IMHO Carrara has one of the most user friendly interfaces out there. I also have ZBrush. Now that's an akward one, not to mention much more expensive. Carrara is truly value for money in all respects, unless you are a professional 3D modeler/artist who needs something extra and is prepared to pay big bucks for something like XSI, Max or Maya.

Carrara is a true workhorse at a fraction of the price compared to more high end packages. This does not mean that it is in any way inferior. Do a search for Carrara renders and you will be amazed at what it is capable of in the right hands. After all, it is not the package that makes the difference, but rather the artist. Take a look for instance at some of the amazing images created by artists using the free open source program Blender. Personally I don't like Blender's interface and have never really used it.
    You should give Carrara another try. A few suggestions:

Load some of the preset scenes that come with the program. Tinker with the setup by deleting/swopping/modifying some of the lights & objects and see how that affects the render.

Also do what I did to create the base image for this painting: Switch to the NPR setting in the render room and see how it differs from the photo realistic render.

I don't use Carrara as my main modeling app, so I cannot
    really comment on the possibilities in that regard. I do however know that the latest version has been greatly improved in this department. If you are not really into modeling yourself, just download some of the thousands of free 3d models freely available on the web and import them into Carrara. Render away and use as a base image to paint over in AR.

As far as the Carrara "manual" is concerned, I feel your pain. It is not helpful at all.

Have a look at these links for some further tips & tutorials:

http://www.markusrothkranz.com/carrara_3d/index.html

http://www.markbremmer.com/3Bpages/tutorials.html

http://www.carrara3dexpo.com

and of course the DAZ forums on the DAZ3D website.

Good luck!

Let me know how it goes.

Great effect indeed. I like it very much!
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Really nice. I like the engraver's look too.

Interesting contrast between the delicacy and precision of that effect, how it plays against the same width outline which is less descriptive. The placement of the outline is accurate for sure. Just seems like a different sensibility between.

We used to also vary the line width between more pronounced on the edges facing and facing away. The effect was subtle because few people would even think about it, but it gave a little extra polish if you're going that way with it.

Anyway, just thinking aloud. These are great. And I'm very much pulled in by that tonal effect since it is something I had use for in the past. Now that I know it exists as a possibility, I shall reconsider pulling that project out of mothballs.

The painted one is very expressive and evokes an edgy artistic mood. Not sure the black outline is working for you here. It feels more like it would want a different more painterly tool and edges created through tones stopping and so forth. Not bad. But not a complimentary mark, in my opinion only.

Great stuff!
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Quote Originally Posted by D Akey View Post
    Not sure the black outline is working for you here. It feels more like it would want a different more painterly tool and edges created through tones stopping and so forth
    Yes D Akey, I must admit I was also a bit unsure about the black outline initially. Thanks for the advice about rather using tones. Will definitely keep it in mind in future.

Thanks Caesar, also for your reply