ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making sellable prints from home?

Making sellable prints from home?

The more I use digital the more I like it, but my concern with it has always been that it's not a physical painting on paper or canvas that I could exhibit or (best case) sell.

Does anyone here make and sell their own prints of their art? Are you using a consumer-level desktop printer, or something more expensive? To be serious about this, would I need to get a serious printer (eg, Epson Stylus Pro 4880)? Obviously I'm thinking about the archival life of the paper and inks as the primary concern, closely followed by the quality of the printing.

Alternatively, has anybody tried third-party services like Cafepress' poster printing? Are there others?

Thanks,
    Lindsay

LP, check out this thread by RobertSWade. http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...g+through+etsy

Thanks Bobbi, some great info in that thread!

I'd still be interested to know if anybody is making their own prints at home.

~ Lindsay

I am finding out that printing is an art in and of itself Lindsay. I have been on a quest to understand the ins and outs of printing for quite a while now and have found out that (much like color theory in Alkratzer's thread) the more I learn the more complicated it becomes. I have had prints made on poster paper with mediocre satisfaction. My home printer can print small images but definitely not at a professional level. Here is another good thread with a lot of info on printing if you'd like to check it out! Good luck and keep us informed of what you learn or find out!

Link: http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...ad.php?t=21392
    "The significance is hiding in the insignificant. Appreciate everything."
    Eckhart Tolle

Give Redbubble a try...

I sold some a print or two on Redbubble... Give them a try. It's free....

http://www.redbubble.com/

Cheers

Ken

One additional tip, Lindsay. Don't export from AR in JPG format. Use some other program to convert file format if you need to submit a JPG to a printer.

Hi Robert,
    thank you so much for sharing your knowledge about printing and selling the pictures.
    I am just curious, why not to export in jpg format directly from AR?

Hi Lindsay,
    You can dish out the money for a great printer or you can use a 3rd party. I have sold many prints of my acrylic paintings and have recently loaded many digital paintings done with artrage on this art site ( www.fineartamerica.com ). Haven't sold anything digital yet but, I will. They print the artwork and ship it for you. 15th of every month you get a check for sales. The artwork can be on paper or canvas, the bigger the image the larger the sizes available. (20mb limit). I have bought some prints on canvas for myself and to resell and will soon order a few of the artrage paintings. Very pleased with their work. Artrage paintings can be seen on my site........................TJ

That's a real nice site, TonyJazz. I've seen others in this forum have a site there too. What a great option for selling and printing!

AT-TA....I believe that what Robert means is the level of data loss when you export it out of AR due to its compression algorithm. It seems to be on the heavy side when it compresses the PTG file as a JPG. That is why many like to just export it as a PNG and use something like GIMP to take the PNG to create a JPG file. GIMP gives you the ability to set your own level of compression. I hope I answered that correctly or at least well enough to make some sense!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyjazz View Post
    Hi Lindsay,
    You can dish out the money for a great printer or you can use a 3rd party. I have sold many prints of my acrylic paintings and have recently loaded many digital paintings done with artrage on this art site ( www.fineartamerica.com ). Haven't sold anything digital yet but, I will. They print the artwork and ship it for you. 15th of every month you get a check for sales. The artwork can be on paper or canvas, the bigger the image the larger the sizes available. (20mb limit). I have bought some prints on canvas for myself and to resell and will soon order a few of the artrage paintings. Very pleased with their work. Artrage paintings can be seen on my site........................TJ
    They sound something like Redbubble...

http://www.redbubble.com/

Cheers

Ken