ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Homenaje a Roy

Homenaje a Roy

Homage for Roy Buchanan (1939-1988)
    I´ve been loading music onto my iPhone and came across a couple of albums that I hadn´t heard in years. I loaded them up and haven´t been able to stop listening. I´ve watched and listened to everything on YouTube I could find. Yea, I guess I´ve gotten obsessed with this guy´s music.

If you want more detail, you can always head to Wiki. Buchanan was described as the “best unknown guitarist in the world.” He normally used no pedals or gadgets—it was just him and his ´53 Telecaster. And, wow, how that guitar could cry. He was invited to replace Brian Jones with the Stones and said, “I don´t want to be the next casualty.” He was asked to join John Lennon´s Plastic Ono Band, but in a studio session passed out over the studio console. Like many a musician, he had serious problems with alcohol and substance abuse. In 1988, he was arrested for drunk driving and hanged himself in his jail cell (or so the police report says). Shortly before, he´d said that he was now on the straight road—but apparently that road only went for a few blocks. What a waste at 48 years.

I´ve put in four links if you have any interest (don´t be put off by his voice; it just serves to mark the pauses between his playing). They´re all from a live performance in 1976. Love the organ player´s rig--used to have one very much like.

“The Messiah Will Come Again”
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deeBQZ8Aklc&feature=related
    “Sweet Dreams”
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swX9oq6TVAU&NR=1
    “Roy´s Bluz”
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDOIL5OqvYs&feature=related
    “Hey Joe”
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMcjPZgK9GM&feature=related

Purely digital decadence here. Ran the photo through a filter and then painted over it. And boy it was fun!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	roy.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	301.0 KB 
ID:	42289  
    Last edited by ScottF; 02-25-2010 at 09:45 AM.
    The only problem with humor is that no one takes it seriously.

Whoa!!
    That's wonderful Scott!!
    I love the way you manipulated the negative space and invoked such an intense form with such minimal lines!!!
    Kudos!
    The more hair I lose, the more head I get.

Thanks fly! Appreciate your taking the time to look and comment!

Howdy Scott! Glad to see you back! I will definitely be bookmarking those videos to listen to. I'm really digging the style you have going here, its so minimal yet it maintains a ton of expression
    +I only see the good qualities in people. Not being faultless myself, I won't probe into the faults of others+

Thanks so much Alan!

Such an interesting and touching story. So many tragedies with musicians through time. Beautifully painted tribute Scott. I look forward to listening to his music.

Fantastic
    Treat Others as you wish to be treated

http://mannafig.deviantart.com/

Thanks Alexandra and Mannafig! I hope you get a chance to listen to the music.

At about 4:40 of his solo on Hey Joe, Roy is no longer playing blues licks on a guitar, he's channeling pure emotion. Thanks for posting this -- I had not thought about Roy or listened to him since the early 80's. He certainly warrants a new listen.

Your Treatment of the visual is Excellent! One of my faves of his is "Sweet dreams", which you have linked here. There is a cut with Chet Atkins and Buchanan live that is really cool.
    My Website - SkylarArt.com
    "Beauty Draws those who Draw Beauty" - Skylar