ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Application performance, Hyper Threading

Application performance, Hyper Threading

Hey I am having difficulties with the performance of your application(I bought the Studio Pro version)

With a medium sized project (2400x1344), when having 20+ layers, things will become unbearably slow.
    IE creating or even moving a layer will result in a 5-10 or even (15!) secs delay?
    Also larger brushes will lag quite a bit too.

I am on a Quadcore Xeon, so in theory i have 10Ghz+ CPU power to handle all this, and for comparisons sake this behaviour doesnt happen in photoshop or other graphic applications.

I dont know if this is the lack of hyper threading or another optimization bug? If you are aware of this, is there a patch in work?

The layer lag you're experiencing is unusual, could you drop us an email at support@artrage.com with details on the contents of the painting, operating system and how much RAM you have and we can look in to that.

Because the application is pushing round a lot of data when you paint (3-4 times as much information as apps that just push colour around) you will probably find some of the larger brushes operating more slowly. We are looking at this however and we have some plans for future updates that should help.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

I cant show you the painting as that is under contract, but I can tell you the size is: 2400x1344

and it did end up having a lot of layers, like 30-40 plus, mostly due to using (quite large )stickers.

My system is Windows XP, 8Gig ofram, Quadcore 2.66Ghz CPU (10Ghz in total), using a Wacom Cintiq 12Inch. so its a pretty strong machine, that should be able to handle all of this abuse.

Yes the brush lag is something that i experience with large soft brushes with other applications, but the moving around/creating new layer, is something unusual/unexpected.

PS: you didn't answer my question about hyperthreading

Without being able to examine the contents of the layer it's hard to know exactly what's causing it. I have tested on a very similar system (less RAM being the only major difference) and experienced around a 3-4 second delay with that many layers but it's possible that the large stickers might relate to it. If you have finished editing them, collapsing them down to paint (using the footprint icon in the layer stack) may assist, but time after moving layers is usually spent reconstructing the physical volume of the paint across all layers so it may not help.

ArtRage is not currently multithreaded.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Thats it Matt, I think you got it! Add a few more larger stencils, and things will really bog down. Like creating a new Layer Group, and putting in a few layers could take minutes.

In other apps such as photoshop for instance, creating new layers, grouping things etc, is virtually instantenous, no matter how many or what the contents of the layers are.

Of course Artrage is still fairly low priced in comparison, however at $80 for the studio pro, it kindof jumped 'weight class' from what it was previously(4x as much ), and at this price range I dont think its unreasonable to expect no such bugs in the performance. Adding hyperthreading/multicore processing etc. would make it even better!

The greatest pull of your app is that its intuitive, clean and a lightweight setup, that its so quick get around and create art, however a bogus performance completely defeats this.

In Photoshop and similar apps, the program is not calculating lighting/texture/vectors separately for each layer. Throw a few layer effects on your Photoshop layers if you want to see it bog down in precisely the same way (even the 64-bit version will choke on that many layers with rendered styles on every layer, especially at high resolution).

You're running into a wall on rendering time. With a single-threaded app like Artrage, you are only using a single core from your CPU, and since it's 32-bit, the system can only throw about 3.7GB of RAM at it, which for a painting of that size (including colour, lighting, vector and texture channels for every single layer) is not a hell of a lot. Even with a fast machine, you're burning a lot of cycles and a lot of RAM with that many layers, and you're going to be using your virtual memory swap file a lot.

If you want faster performance, try reducing the number of layers you're using by merging them.