ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is users yanking threads getting out of hand?

Is users yanking threads getting out of hand?

Hi, no big deal, but owing to an epidemic of painter's remorse, or just plain remorse, threads are getting yanked wholesale by the originators of the thread, and it includes yanking posts by other participants.

Starting a thread implies a desire for participation from others. But I can still see how people might either want an immediate feedback only in order to get past a work that's not worked out, or run it up the flagpole to see if anyone salutes it, or people get pressured to remove their threads . . . whatever. It's all what it is.

Maybe I put a little extra into my comments and therefore feel more invested. And people look at this all quite differently. Many see it all as temporary like a conversation that is over when people have said their piece. But showing your hand early might avoid confusion.

So I'm requesting that if you are going to yank your thread, please give warning that is a possibility. Otherwise it's a little discourteous to people who have participated. It happened a little early on in the AR forums and then stopped for a long time. Then it got a bit schizophrenic and it began again.

I have no problem working around threads that are temporary or not posting where it's not wanted. But please be clear if you can anticipate something like that.

Also, the disappearance of posts from within threads after they have been replied to creates an effect like removing every third word from a paragraph. Sometimes editors would think that a good thing in principle for writers in general. But it's a trifle chaotic.

I'm not an administrator. So this is merely me making a simple request of my fellow ArtRagers.

Thanks.
    Last edited by D Akey; 02-25-2010 at 01:33 AM.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Oh Dear D-Akey,
    I have done that on three of mine-my husbands painting, and my families portraits, I felt so terrible when I did it. They requested that I not put their paintings on-line, and I removed the whole sha-bang. I will never do something like this again-I did not ask their (the subjects) permission-so I do not do that anymore. The other one was a removal of a post when I felt that I had upset a member. All a learning thing for me. I agree though, from now on I will not remove mine.
    Your posts are treasures and I always appreciate them. Good thread here D-Akey.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra View Post
    Oh Dear D-Akey,
    I have done that on three of mine-my husbands painting, and my families portraits, I felt so terrible when I did it. They requested that I not put their paintings on-line, and I removed the whole sha-bang. I will never do something like this again-I did not ask their (the subjects) permission-so I do not do that anymore. The other one was a removal of a post when I felt that I had upset a member. All a learning thing for me. I agree though, from now on I will not remove mine.
    Your posts are treasures and I always appreciate them. Good thread here D-Akey.

Now ya make me feel sheepish for having brought it up. Could you please remove this thread. . . hahahaha. NO! Please don't . . . hahahah.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

As someone who has been reading the forum for a long while, but only just started to post I found it very confusing that replies to my posts disappeared without warning.
    I did wonder what I had done to offend, then realised that it was happening everrywhere so it wasn't just me ...

If it is worth starting or responding to a post surely it is only polite to leave it as it stands (unless it is causing major offence and then the powers that be can deal with it)

There are a lot of threads about at the moment that dont make sense, a bit like Norman Collier (sorry I can't post a link yet, but if you look on you tube, you will understand )

Norman Collier!!!! He did th Fau ty M cr phon g g di 'nt H ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEC1VUlwUvU

It's unbelievable that he earned a living out of the one joke!
    Last edited by fraser_paice; 02-25-2010 at 03:34 AM.

Dear D-Akey,

I've only removed one thread since my stay here, and it was solely by request. However I do understand your confusion when trying to read a topic and seeing posts missing, kind of like only hear one part of a phone-call
    +I only see the good qualities in people. Not being faultless myself, I won't probe into the faults of others+

Moreover, it's a pity because all people here by asking, answering and so on create a big knowledge network. All the forum is like a brain that continously grow. When a piece of this brain misses, it's a pain because you feel that something has gone forever.

My opinion is that people should post with the head to avoid the need of removing pieces in future. And, after the post, people should take responsability of their words.

If I wrote something wrong, I never try to delete it but I try to explain myself to others, or apologize myself or other things as needed. I think that also mistakes help the brain to grow better.

IMHO obviously.
    Umberto

DA, as a general courtesy, and a tip of the hat to the world of manners, I agree with you 100%.

Meanwhile, people have reasons for doing things. As a way of expanding the conversation, it would be interesting hearing the reasons people have for pulling threads or pulling specific posts in threads.

For example, I liked seeing Sandy's explanation. It provides insight into a circumstance where one may have to balance "manners" in two venues and make a decision about which serves the greater good, or alternatively, which does the least harm.

I've made thousands of posts and think I've only retracted three or four (except in a case where I pulled about 20 of my posts related to a particular member - an example reviewed further down in this post).

Once I entered a thread where I thought two people were joking with each other. It turns out they were engaged in a rather nasty war of words. I made a humorous post thinking I as playing along, only to be bludgeoned by one of the parties with a "mind your own &(%^$#* business" response. Unless pulled, threads and posts are forever. Having unwittingly stumbled into this cow-pie I did not wish to be forever associated with it. I pulled my post and wrote a polite PM to both parties saying why. Each responded, being kind to me but rather nastily dismantled the character of their counterpart in no uncertain terms to make sure I knew with no uncertain terms that the other had no right to exist anywhere in the known Universe except maybe in an eternal Hell of fire and brimstone. Soon the administrators [edit: or the original poster, I'm not sure which] yanked the thread - no loss to the community, I assure you. It's a fun example of what for me is the proverbial exception to the rule.

Another recent example: There was a poster posting some very remarkable paintings. I responded with rave and detailed, time-consuming reviews to about 20 of his threads. Then a friend sent me irrefutable evidence that the poster was posting the works of other artists. None of the works were his. He was stealing them from other sites, posting them as his own, leaving long comments about how quickly he had created such and such a painting, etc. The guy was a fraud. I went to every one of his threads and removed my reviews. Once reported to the administrators, without fanfare the poster [edit: and I believe all his threads] soon vanished.

There was another thread where a poster posted a question and then began to attack (disparage is maybe the better word) the respondents when they answered. I pulled my post from that thread. I didn't wish to be associated publicly and eternally with such a destructive conversation. In this case I didn't bother to PM the poster, it simply seemed counter-productive. Sometimes it's best to not stick your fingers in the fan - this seemed like one of those times. That thread got nasty for those who stayed in it. If I recall, that thread got yanked by the administrators [eidt: or by the original poster, I'm not sure which] too. It's disappearance was a benefit I think.

Other people will have other reasons that I might personally agree or disagree with. But I always find it both instructive and interesting to learn the motivations that drive people's behaviors. Often things that didn't make sense suddenly do. I might not like it, but often I'll find myself empathizing where previously I had my underwear tied up in knots.

I'm with you 100% in requesting that as a general community courtesy people refrain from wholesale deletion of posts and threads. Meanwhile, I recognize people will have occasions where they will feel strongly they have good reasons for ignoring the norm. I would be interested in hearing illustrative examples from others, all in the context of generalized courtesies that make this such a terrific forum to frequent.

Edit: I just reread this post. I sound like an idiot. I'm thinking of deleting it.
    Last edited by byroncallas; 02-25-2010 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Clarification following Andy's post further down.
    // "Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well." - Byron
    //
    My ArtRage Paintings Here
    // My Comprehensive AR4 & 3 Thread Here
    64 bit Win8Pro, 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Quad Core - 8 threads; Wacom Intuios 4

I pulled a thread once, a number of years ago; and I'm STILL looking for the darn button that fell off...(really liked that shirt, too!).

LOL jbyrjbyr!
    +I only see the good qualities in people. Not being faultless myself, I won't probe into the faults of others+