ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Helen Hunt (plus revised version at end)

Helen Hunt (plus revised version at end)

I've always liked non-generic beauty that veers away from the typical Hollywood norm (that's not to say I don't enjoy the "norm" as well!) and feel that Helen Hunt possesses this atypical brand of lovliness. I recently ran across an unusual and, to me, highly sensuous pose that caught my eye. Although I think my reach may have exceeded my grasp here and don't believe I did the reference photo or the actress justice (hair and skin tones especially), I had fun trying.

Multiple layers, watercolor, airbrush, knife (at several settings) and liberal use of eraser (thank goodness the ArtRage eraser doesn't wear down or I'd be in BIG trouble!).

As always, C&C welcome.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	helen hunt.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	270.7 KB 
ID:	42244  
    Last edited by jbyrjbyr1; 02-24-2010 at 02:58 PM.

Great portrait work
    An artist is someone who can see the hidden beauty of the world.
    http://kev2grey.co.uk

Are you talking about Norm from Cheers? Never did anything for me either.

I think it's quite interesting how you have chosen to do the textures in their respective places. The brown blanket texture is very different from the rest. Were you to do it again, and give it some thought in this direction, you may want to consider how the textures play against one another. And in looking at shapes as abstract pools that you can fill with a texture of your choosing, it may work the idea of contrasting textures to interesting effect. It's a sensibility where you make the important stuff really work as expected, and them go to town creatively on the other areas. It's because the tan in the background does nothing for the picture as it appears. It's polite enough and sits away and remains quiet. But it can be used.

Think as if you just bought a home with a lot of the property being gravel and dirt. How would you landscape it, or what could you put there (in the case of a yard = pool, volleyball, flowers with the paint equivalent being anything from brushstrokes to pattern to stuff) that would add to the fun of the picture.

Every inch of real estate is yours the second you take over an image.

And work with something of a plan -- at least for now until you exploit the possibilities. But waiting for inspiration is also good. But hold an intention to own the painting in full and see where that takes you.

The other way to go is to pull it in and paint the whole picture with a unified sensibility, like in extreme cases, Van Gogh, Seurat and pointilism, Franz Hals and swashyness, tonal like Michaelangelo, mosaic deco like Klimt, etc.

Still another way to go is to go for simple volume and add garbage mattes like the goths use or some industrial design guys will put over a rendered sketch of an automobile prototype, if they want a sort of futuristic dystopia mood.

I mean to say you are far enough along to be considering some of these things (whichever float your boat), and go for a more unified look. I think you will find your work takes a jump after you get the initial orientation period over. You have an eye and a lot to work with, being how you have made a living with writing. You are at the very least an observer. And I know you're much more than that.

And if it's all for relaxation and you're doing it for the joy of pushing paint, ignore what I said and keep on keeping on. It has a nice quality at this stage that will probably evolve on its own.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

You have a really good eye for composition here. I think the composition is really successful. I also like the light play. Well done.
    Have to pretty much agree with Mr. Akey...I think the textures that show up in the skin may be a bit disconcerting here.
    Last edited by screenpainter; 02-24-2010 at 12:12 PM.

I find interesting that you choose a picture from this scene of the film (As Good as It Gets), because it's when an artist sees her by chance after a shower and she turns from a humble waitress into a Renaissance model. As such, a translucent glow shines from her pale skin (the tone you did on her shoulders).
    It isn't an easy task to do, but I too think that the scene asks for a silk skin treatment with the least texture you are able to get. Perhaps, blending carefully along the paths of her muscles would help.
    Nulla die sine linea
    http://bobrow.wordpress.com

Thank you all for your clear concise comments on this piece...and I couldn't agree more. I sometimes (often...) rush to the end of a piece through simple impatience, missing what should have been obvious. I "think" I know what you were getting at and have put a bit more time and effort into bringing this to a greater state of completion (background, canvas choice and grain, and more blending of the skin tones). While I still have not captured the luminous nature of the source, it's closer now and I thank you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	helen hunt 2.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	270.3 KB 
ID:	42250  

WOW! Certainly a big leap forward. I'd say she looks a lot more comfy now.
    Nulla die sine linea
    http://bobrow.wordpress.com

jbyrjbyr1 Good job on HH. I like the improvements also.
    My real name is Neal Gilbertson, AKA Gilbert Neilson, AKA Jibes.
    I'm a musician too. Please come hear my music at:
    http://www.icompositions.com/artists/jibes

You always get it right on the second effort.
    To me, Helen Hunt is that rare kind of beauty that transcends the "norm". I think it's a Mediterranian type of thing.
    Wonderful work, JB, in catching the sensuality of the scene and the person.