ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A classical painting (4 steps)

A classical painting (4 steps)

It's just an oil painted background sketch (one layer).
    I think I'll post directly the final piece in the main gallery next time, if can proceed speedy enough.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Classical painting.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	42154  
    Last edited by Caesar; 02-26-2010 at 04:29 AM.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Looks like a traditional glazing! Great start, can't wait to see it!
    "The significance is hiding in the insignificant. Appreciate everything."
    Eckhart Tolle

Looking good so far I also can't wait to see it finished
    Treat Others as you wish to be treated

http://mannafig.deviantart.com/

Sometimes you knock my socks off.. This is going to be one of them times.. I can tell..
    Click Upper Right To Visit My Gallery

Yes, a classical painting done by a classical guy!! Taking a break from those watercolors and picking up that oil brush, hey Caesar? I'm waiting in suspense for the next update on this one......even though I KNOW the final outcome will be more than classical in my book! So, far it's looking mighty fine, dear Caesar.....

Dear Sketch, thank You.
    Actually this is going to be an experiment with glazes (new layers will be added to to smooth and harmonise it all (hopefully). I hope I can get a portrait looking classical, like, say, Sargent's one, to give a possibly more popular name for You and US friends, although my preferred style for this would be a slightly warme one, such as three Italian great masters who were the among most successful in Paris in the same period of the impressionism: Giuseppe De Nittis, Giovanni Boldini and Federico Zandomeneghi. Have a look to their paintings on google image if You wish ...

Dear Amanda, I'll try to use as much time as necessary in this experimentation to test the possibility to get a classical painting as finished and as polished as necessary. In case it's going to take too much I'd put further steps so as not to abuse of Your patience.
    Thank You!

I hope I'll be able to keep the promises, dear Rick (and hopefully to exceed expectations or insert some surprising or interesting element, if I'll be able too). Thank You for Your trust!

Later on I will have to have some sort of fre abstract painting washing experiment, I guess, just to clean me from all this oil paint, dear Eileen!
    This is an intermediate procedure though. Next time I'll try to follow even more the classical approach for progressively build up a classical painting.
    Perhaps the opportunity may come from Jules old master works emulation (probably in a whimisical way).
    Thank you for Your encouraging words!

Here's the second step ...
    Not far from a complete rough sketch, but still a lot to be improved and refined (knife and glazes) and, maybe, revisited a little bit for balance and hue harmonisations.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Classical painting WIP2.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	42264  

Already looks stunning dear Caesar. Love the contrast of the colors and the atmosphere they create; definitely has a classical feel so far
    "We can only grow the way the wind blows...
    We can only bow to the here and now,
    or be broken down blow by blow."

- Rush

Thank You, dear Jessica!
    I hope I'll be able to keep it all under control and in a chromatic harmony. Not so easy to tone-down or darken by blending a limited palette of colous directly on the canvas, as I'm doing.
    It will take more than expected I'm afraid, to reach my target ...
    Next time I'll change a little bit my approach.

Looking great Caesar! Great composition, pose, and colors thus far!
    "The significance is hiding in the insignificant. Appreciate everything."
    Eckhart Tolle