ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Urban Design Sketches

Urban Design Sketches

Hello everyone;

These are a couple of sketches I have created using ArtRage, with a little post-processing on Photoshop to 'tone down' the colors and add a few other small details.

My goal was to replicate as closely as possible the look of traditional media, (color markers on vellum in this case). The linework was done using Artrage's ink pen, and the coloring was done with the 'felt pen' tool with a lot of blending and layering.

A small Wacom Intuos tablet is my weapon of choice while I muster up the courage to spend 1800 bucks on a Cintiq monitor.

Cheers;
    Marcos.
    Orlando, FL.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Salida_2000px.JPG 
Views:	2881 
Size:	413.9 KB 
ID:	42118   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Canaveral_2000px.JPG 
Views:	2912 
Size:	475.5 KB 
ID:	42119  

These are REALLY cool. Terrific work. It would be fun to watch you assembling this kind of thing.

Depending on your efforts, and your layering, you might find the Adjust Layers Color feature reached through the edit menu does a good job making some of these types of color adjustments without having to leave the software. It's nice to be able to stay in the same software when it works well. I'd be curios to how well it works for the kind of adjustments you are making.

Again, your work here is cool stuff - I like it bunches.

Meanwhile, here's wishing your courage for that new $1800 dream machine.
    // "Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well." - Byron
    //
    My ArtRage Paintings Here
    // My Comprehensive AR4 & 3 Thread Here
    64 bit Win8Pro, 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Quad Core - 8 threads; Wacom Intuios 4

Smile

Thanks Byron!

As much as I am loving to work with AR, I was a "little" disappointed with the fact that it seems to take a lot of processing time to complete most layer operations (color adjustments, shuffling, transformations, etc...) Most of the time Photoshop does the same work much faster.

However I don't really mind swapping between both programs, since AR handles the import/export so well.

What is truly exciting about Artrage is the color blending behavior, which feels just like the real thing. I am really enjoying that.

Best;
    Marcos

Excellent sketches. Very detailed delineation.
    My real name is Neal Gilbertson, AKA Gilbert Neilson, AKA Jibes.
    I'm a musician too. Please come hear my music at:
    http://www.icompositions.com/artists/jibes

Thanks Marcos.

Yes, the algorithms required to create the "real media" look of many of the paint tools in AR unfortunately consume a lot of resources. I know they are trying to find solutions, fighting the good fight to get there, but I understand it's a bear. I, for one, sure wish them well with it.

Meanwhile, again, I really like your work and hope you'll post a lot more.
    // "Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well." - Byron
    //
    My ArtRage Paintings Here
    // My Comprehensive AR4 & 3 Thread Here
    64 bit Win8Pro, 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Quad Core - 8 threads; Wacom Intuios 4

Both of your pieces are just wonderful and so delightful, Marcos! That is a LOT of line drawing and coloring for one painting, that's for sure. I love your technique with the blending as well as the great shadows you projected with the trees on that first one. You've done an excellent job overall and should be proud!

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen724 View Post
    Both of your pieces are just wonderful and so delightful, Marcos! That is a LOT of line drawing and coloring for one painting, that's for sure. I love your technique with the blending as well as the great shadows you projected with the trees on that first one. You've done an excellent job overall and should be proud!

Thanks, Eileen!

Well you know, I'm no Hanz but we all do the best we can with whatever talent is given to us...

The sketch with shadows was my second attempt with AR, and since it was somewhat simpler, I decided to add the shadows in Photoshop as a final touch. It did make a difference in the overall result, so I will try that again next time.

Cheers;
    Marcos
    Last edited by mbastian; 02-22-2010 at 07:13 PM.

Amazing architectual renderings. Love that everything is green space and low rise too.
    I adore the artrage markers, more than any other application they feel the most like the old yokens i used to use (minus the toxicity)
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)

Wow such detail in these, well done
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

Amazing work, I really like it.