ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Freeze when painting

Freeze when painting

Hi,

I have some strange behavior when painting, sometimes the cursor freezes while I'm painting. I have to release the tablet contact and start another stroke to recover, otherwise I can move the tablet pencil but the cursor doesn't move anymore, it is stuck in its last position.
    Maybe it's related to a disk activity because every times it occurs, I heard a disk noise simultaneously.

I have quit all others applications.

MacOS 10.6.2/MacBookPro/4Go ArtRage 3.0.4

How much memory do you have?
    Do you have any helper applications running?

ArtRage generally doesn't do disk activity during a stroke - it caches it's immediate undo information to memory. But if you're getting low on memory the OS may start swapping out to disk. During a stroke there isn't anything ArtRage should be doing to access the HD unless it's the OS doing virtual memory management.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

I have 4Go

What size (in pixel dimensions) are the canvases you're painting on when this happens?

The screen size, something like 1400x850

You should check what extensions and helpers you have running. It may not be a problem in ArtRage.

What do you mean exactly by "extensions and helpers" ?

By the way, I take a snap of my processes.

As Andy indicated, ArtRage isn't doing anything with the disk during the paint stroke (unless your machine is out of memory and the OS is using virtual RAM).

Can you explain what '4Go' is? I'm not familiar with that.

Can you also make sure that you have removed your Wacom drivers entirely (including any custom profiles for applications) and installed the latest drivers just to make sure there isn't a problem there.

When the cursor freezes, can you continue painting the stroke? For example, if you are painting and the cursor freezes, if you continue to paint does the stroke continue to appear even though the cursor has frozen? If it does not, when you release the mouse does the part of the stroke that you painted after the freeze catch up?

Do you have gestures turned on in your ink control panel? If the operating system is trying to process gestures during tablet strokes that may be related. Turning those off might help.

This should help us narrow down what the problem is.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Quote Originally Posted by MattRage View Post
    As Andy indicated, ArtRage isn't doing anything with the disk during the paint stroke (unless your machine is out of memory and the OS is using virtual RAM).

Can you explain what '4Go' is? I'm not familiar with that.

Can you also make sure that you have removed your Wacom drivers entirely (including any custom profiles for applications) and installed the latest drivers just to make sure there isn't a problem there.

When the cursor freezes, can you continue painting the stroke? For example, if you are painting and the cursor freezes, if you continue to paint does the stroke continue to appear even though the cursor has frozen? If it does not, when you release the mouse does the part of the stroke that you painted after the freeze catch up?

Do you have gestures turned on in your ink control panel? If the operating system is trying to process gestures during tablet strokes that may be related. Turning those off might help.

This should help us narrow down what the problem is.
    As you can see on the snapshot, I'm french so Go (giga octet) stands for Gb (giga byte => 1024x1024 kilo byte). 4 is 2x2 or 1+1+1+1. Have you ever seen a MacBookPro with less than 2Gb ?

I have already upgraded to the last drivers but it doesn't change. I cannot delete and reinstall all things right now but I could make it asap, although I don't know exactly what are custom profiles.

Actually when the freeze happens, the cursor (little cross) doesn't move any more while I'm moving the pencil, no new stroke appears, all is freeze until I release the pencil from the tablet. After that I don't remember well and I don't have currently the tablet to try and cannot reproduce with the mouse.

I have disabled Ink.
    I have also something called "Bamboo scribe" in the menu bar but doesn't use it. Maybe I should uninstall it.

I 'll can make other tests in 3 or 4 days.

I removed and reinstalled the tablet driver but unfortunately I still have the problem.

When the cursor freezes, the stroke is freezed until I put the tablet pencil up.