ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Memories

Memories

Finally completed this in the WIP section.
    There's a bit of a story behind this painting. As a child, I spent many wonderful days with my Uncle Bill and Aunt Alma, and my 5 cousins. Their place was my favorite place to be. There was a big creek next to their place that ran for many miles. My cousin Jerry (now deceased), and I would roam and explore that creek for hours on end, finding out about wildlife, pulling each other out of quicksand, skinny dipping in the swimming hole, looking for arrowheads, fishing,etc.. My Uncle Bill was a sharecropper, which is an economic graveyard. When I was about 10, they abruptly moved to California, and, I lost contact with most of them. 50 years later, I stumbled into an opportunity to contact my cousin Joyce. What I learned from her, was that My uncle Bill knew that he was going to die, and moved his family to California, so they would be in a better position to take care of themselves after he passed. The amazing thing, was after not having any contact with Joyce for 50 years, we connected immediately, and are now more like brother and sister than cousins. We think alike about everything, we have the very same favorite singers, and share the same eating habits,etc.. After that long seperation, we are now in contact daily. The place her family lived in Arkansas, holds special memories for both Joyce, and myself. Last labor day, I went by there to take some pictures of it and send to Joyce. Unfortunately, it was totally gone - nothing but farmland. Not a sign that anyone had ever lived there.
    So, the idea of painting the old home site was born.
    I decided that if I could make a worthwhile painting of her old home, I'd send it to my cousin.
    The last pic is a reference photo taken at least 20 years after they moved.
    The other two are the paintings I made - one with a clear sky, one with a cloudy sky.
    I had to make a lot of changes, because things that were there back then, are not in the ref photo, and things that are in the ref photo, were not there when they lived there.
    I expanded the painting out towards the road, and to the right, in order to be able to show some of the cotton field.
    It's funny... I had other family members in the area that I could visit, who had running water, electricity, indoor bathrooms,etc., but I preferred being at this place, where we had none of that.
    I really wondered if I was biting off more than I could chew with this project, but, if I do say so, it's a pretty good likeness of how their place looked back then.
    Oh...the rake on the side of the house, was "by request" from my cousin Joyce.
    When they were expecting "company", her Momma would make Joyce take a rake and take up all the chicken "droppings" from around the house, which seemed a bit silly to us kids, since everybody that came around, were country folk and quite used to chickens.
    Still, Aunt Alma said they were poor, but they could at least make the place as clean as possible.
    I suppose Joyce wanted that rake included in the painting, as sort of a belated "Protest". LOL....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Memories Blue Sky.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	392.3 KB 
ID:	42043   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Memories Grey Sky.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	414.1 KB 
ID:	42044  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by barnburner; 02-20-2010 at 02:43 PM.

Mike, I've watched this from Day 1... and all I can say is that this is a wonderful memory... to have a painting of a special time in your life, as well as changing the picture to give it more life with the trees in bloom, really is so wonderful.

Thanks for the story... and for the lovely WIP Let us know what Joyce says about it!

Quote Originally Posted by IrishRose View Post
    Mike, I've watched this from Day 1... and all I can say is that this is a wonderful memory... to have a painting of a special time in your life, as well as changing the picture to give it more life with the trees in bloom, really is so wonderful.

Thanks for the story... and for the lovely WIP Let us know what Joyce says about it!
    Thank you Rose, for both your kind comments here, and for your support in WIP.
    I truly appreciate it very much.
    I certainly will report back with Joyce's reaction.
    I can tell you this much already. When I emailed her and told her what I was going to do, she answered back that she was sitting there with tears in her eyes.
    That was incentive enough to take on the task.

What a wonderful memory barnburner, and I love the what you did with the painting. Arent memories wonderful.
    Valerie

Quote Originally Posted by Valerie View Post
    What a wonderful memory barnburner, and I love the what you did with the painting. Arent memories wonderful.
    Yes they are Valerie... Thank you very much.

Very nice... well done on the made up foliage it looks great. I really love the cloudy sky one
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)

I like the painted ones better
    Browse my gift store.
    http://www.zazzle.com/evart_production

Would you like to learn more about how to
    start your own online store? Click the link below.
    http://www.zazzle.com/sell

Quote Originally Posted by Juz View Post
    Very nice... well done on the made up foliage it looks great. I really love the cloudy sky one
    Many thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Evart View Post
    I like the painted ones better
    You have a point.. Painted memories are controllable, unlike the real ones.
    Thanks.

Thank you for the story Mike, and the picture is beautiful as well as charming. I think she will love it. What a special and precious time gifted to you in life. Have you ever thought about writing stories especially relating to the times and people in your life? They would be wonderful.