ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: brush size cursor turns to +

brush size cursor turns to +

when I am using the oil brush and I tap the size down (Shift R/L Arrow, or R/L Arrow) the little oval gets smaller and smaller. that makes sense.

but sometimes my brush is large enough to be a visible oval (I've seen it so in the same painting) but now, even when it's at 134% of size, I get the cross hair or + icon.

Is this known? Other people?

thanks!

archer

Sounds like you may have hit the shortcut key for the Precise Cursor Option. Here's how to change the cursor styles for ArtRage 2.5 and ArtRage 3.

ArtRage 2.5:
    1 - Go to "Edit > Preferences > Use Precise Cursor" and make sure the option in not checked.
    ArtRage 3:
    1 - Go to "Edit > ArtRage Preferences" to open the Preferences panel

2 - Open the Cursor section and select the Outline option.

3 - Click Ok to accept the changes.
    Note:
    - Both versions of the program have shortcut keys set up for this feature. In ArtRage 2.5 the shortcut is the "C" key. In ArtRage 3 the shortcuts can be user defined, so they may not be the same if you have remapped your shortcuts. I don't recall what the default shortcuts are, but I have them set up for my 1, 2 and 3 keys on my keyboard.
    Last edited by Someonesane; 02-20-2010 at 08:57 AM.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

that's an excellent theory, except that I re-mapped the 1, 2 and 3 kypd keys to brushes.

also, if I keep enlarging the brush with the key command, eventually, I see the oval.

but from experience, the oval doesn't become the + cursor until you're down around 10% or less, or zoomed way out.

a

Quote Originally Posted by archer View Post
    also, if I keep enlarging the brush with the key command, eventually, I see the oval.
    Sounds to me like you're working at a really high rez. The scaling of the brush will change according to the rez of the piece. A brush who's outline you can see on a low rez image you may have to zoom right into to see its outline on a high rez piece or alternatively scale up the brush size itself to see the outline on a high rez piece
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)

Quote Originally Posted by Juz View Post
    Sounds to me like you're working at a really high rez. The scaling of the brush will change according to the rez of the piece. A brush who's outline you can see on a low rez image you may have to zoom right into to see its outline on a high rez piece or alternatively scale up the brush size itself to see the outline on a high rez piece
    the image in question is 10 x 8 inches at 300 dpi.

is that considered to be "really high rez?" to my experience, that's standard print resolution.

a

Yes print resolutions are really high rez.

300dpi would be considered a standard if printing for a glossy magazine i.e. a paper that does not absorb much ink. Most artists working with paint software work for giclee output also referred to as 'fine art prints'. You would always check your printer before commencing work of course but these sorts of prints to archival media such as canvas or watercolour paper (which uptake the inks more readily) are able to be produced at a much lower resolution 150dpi - 200dpi is usual.

Fact remains that working at 300dpi will downsize your cursor and you will either have to zoom in or increase your brush size if you wish to see the outline.

I appreciate that info. I myself am a print designer. My question was more about whether 300 dpi is too large for Art Rage to continue properly showing the cursors..

I guess another way of phrasing my problem is this:

one moment, I see an oval cursor, and the next moment, under same/similar conditions in the same document, I get the + cursor.

I am not a programmer, but to me it feels like it's "forgetting" to show the cursor the way I know that it can, cuz it just did so.

perhaps 10" x 8" @ 300dpi is just enough data that it starts to get full of things to keep track of?

I can still paint..still keep on working, but I like that oval cursor because it gives me an excellent idea of how large my brush size is as I get ready to start painting on an area.

archer

Quote Originally Posted by archer View Post
    I am not a programmer, but to me it feels like it's "forgetting" to show the cursor the way I know that it can, cuz it just did so.
    I don't experience this issue. Sounds like an issue specific to your system. You should post your system specs and OS for the ArtRage team.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Quote Originally Posted by Someonesane View Post
    I don't experience this issue. Sounds like an issue specific to your system. You should post your system specs and OS for the ArtRage team.
    excellent idea!

My machine: Mac Pro 8-core 2.26 ghz "Nehalem" with 6GB RAM, geforce 120

archer

As its a cursor tracking issue don't forget to include your tablet make/model
    If you're on a wacom it would pay to make sure you have the latest driver.
    Last edited by Juz; 02-21-2010 at 08:09 AM.