ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Which one is better?

Which one is better?

Howdy everyone

I've been trying out a new image. This one's for my best friend who is getting ready to go through a divorce. She's been contemplating many things and doing a lot of soul searching and it's a rough time for her. So based on her favorite colors which are black and red and her feelings about this whole thing, I put these together.

I know nothing about the "rules" (so to speak) of abstract painting. I really would like some critique on these because this will be something I print out for her on canvas eventually. So this is really important.

Which do ya'll like best? What's it missing or needing? There is a moon or planet in the upper right corner but it's just not showing up well. Not sure how to combat that as I have no experience on this.

OOOH thank you sooo much Irish! And VERY good point on the "hope"! VERY helpful!

Any other hints or tips you might have on that? The sky seems rather blank but since it's abstract, it probably should stay that way huh?

::EDIT:: by the way Irish (hope ya see this!) I just took a peek at your site and your art. BEAUTIFUL!! Also, I have a new-found love and probably a new-found hobby too! Zentangle!!! TOOO COOL!!!! Thank you Irish!
    Last edited by FireFytingNut; 02-18-2010 at 10:37 AM.

Hi,

Well, consider what you want the artwork to say. I mean I figure you got it working like a Hallmark sentiment card. Were you looking at cards in a store, looking at the picture and picking it up and opening it and reading what it says. . .picture it. What kind of thing would you pick to express visually what you want it to say? How would it read? You can use type if you want as well. But it's up to you.

It's a lot easier buying a card because there's a lot from which to choose and you just go from your gut. But in painting a picture, it's got to do something that has to be created from scratch. . . It says what???? Elevates? Expresses optimism? Calls him a bastard?

Your image is going to communicate. What does a dim red picture say? And a dim red picture with lifeless trees? And somebody sitting under the tree reading? What does that say? To me it says "What a bummer".

For me, I would think you are more inclined to say something like, as Rose said, a new beginning. The old poem goes "Red sky in the morning sailor take warning. Red sky at night, sailor's delight." So which is this?

This is pretty dark and heavy. You sort of have it happening (what I'm about to suggest), but I could live with the message of the environment being dark and heavy IF you showed something blossoming. The tree she is sitting under could be blooming despite the dim surroundings. But I would suggest that you really contrast it apart from the somber surroundings like it's vital and somewhat joyous. Make it contrast to reinforce your message of the bleak circumstance being lit up from within based on attitude, or whatever.

Or you could put in a rainbow right around her or in the tree or sky as a sign of a new covenant ( implying a new resolve), light up the bird like the dove that brought Noah back the sign of having found a safe haven to land after the 40 days and nights of rain.

You needn't do things out of the Bible, or anything in particular, but certain cultural things are universally known to mean things. And by hinting at a large symbolic pre-existing story you only have to call in the comparison and you have the larger more complex story understood to make your point -- symbols that are a shorthand language of their own.

If you're expressing something through symbols, you leave the door open for the recipient to interpret, and to superimpose it onto their situation. Doesn't hurt to pick a story like a fairy tale that is consistent all the way through, where it parallels the major story beats with her situation and one that ends well (Simple is usually better when suffering is involved - less is more). That is saying to her that she is not alone. And that people have had similar experiences and risen above it to a happy ending or new start or balance or whatever.

Having the figure under the tree holding some big bright beautiful flowers would say a lot. Flowers are commonly sent as ways to say things. And to send light and color and love on some level or other would get straight to the heart of where you probably want to go with it. If you're an artist, speak Art.

You have a good start to build on.

Some stuff may come across as sappy or corny. You have to know your audience. Some people really get it. Other people may have it go over their head completely. There are snobby types, self styled long suffering art types who might look down their nose as if it were bourgeois.

But plenty love it or there would be no flowers for sale or cards or birthstone rings or birthday candles. How deep it goes really depends on the person receiving it. It's a language. And you can be wonderfully articulate and wind up making no sense to the recipient or in another case be very clumsy yet the recipient will still get the message loud and clear. It's all about the connect you manage to make with the recipient and their ability to be open.

Good luck and have fun with it. Hope this helps your thinking.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Oh.........my........GOSH! DA thank you so very very VERY much!! WOW! Are you a teacher as well? If not, you should be!

Your input was incredibly valuable to me! That is SO much of what I wanted to know. You and IrishRose both pointed out something that I did not think about. Somehow adding the positive in the image. While I was working on the tree area, I kept thinking "meh....this is just so....scary!" Which, indeed interprets how my friend is feeling, amongst many many other things. However, this is not really what I want her to have to feel! If I gave this to her in this way, it would certainly give her that somber feeling all over again.

I had also requested some help from Andrea and she gave me some good fundamental points about art and some great advice! She was talking about colors and learning which ones compliment and contradict each other. Those of you who have learned all of this know what I mean, of course. As a brand new artist, this is like a whole new world for me. It's like I see paintings and feel emotions with it but when I sit down to try it out for myself, I'm lost on what I should do. Where to start? What if I do it wrong? I realize there are certain areas of art where there is no "wrong". It's simply what comes from within and each and every person is so vastly different in so many ways. But there are definitely some things that are basic fundamentals that I would like to learn that are rough laws of art. I'm learning all about that on my own, each day. I just know I enjoy looking at it and would LOVE to create it!

Sometimes I just want to doodle for the heck of it. No real feeling, just doodle. Sometimes I want to convey emotion but have NO clue what that truly means (for a lack of better terms). You helped me on that soooo SO much D!! You gave me some tremendously great ideas for what to consider when trying to portray emotion when mixing the overall idea of a painting along with color.

It is soo wild to me that these things never occurred to me prior to now. I've spent 37 years clueless on this! LOL UGH!!! I'm embarrassed and feel rather stupid at the moment LOL BUT.....I've got a totally different perspective on something and I really want to progress and succeed.

I am sure my confidence will grow slowly. Right now, I'm almost terrified to put my work here in the forums for fear of what replies may come! LOL It's that whole "rookie" feeling and fear of rejection.

You all have been so encouraging and inspiring and I appreciate it so very much.

Irish.....I will definitely sign up! There's no way I can purchase their starter kit but the whole idea of Zentangle really hit me and I look forward to using it in many ways. I suffer from chronic pain so this will be invaluable! Your art is so beautiful and I look forward to viewing more! Bring it!

Thank you all so very very much. I really desperately needed this. I don't feel nearly as lost or confused on certain aspects. You guys rock!!

Take care and I will see you all around here

emm, Andrea is an he not a she

I can't understand how come Andrea is used for women in some countries, since it comes from Greek ἀνήρ and means man

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrea

6. First one dark but fluffy.
    Second one dark and bleak (as hell). Depends what mood you're going for really. If you want to give you friend some optimism for the future maybe add a nimbus/halo effect around the bird or some stars in the sky?
    Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
    emm, Andrea is an he not a she

I can't understand how come Andrea is used for women in some countries, since it comes from Greek ἀνήρ and means man

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrea
    I know what you mean. In Romance languages the "a' ending designates female most often, while 'o' says masculine. Welcome to the Tower of Babel, Andrea. I will certainly now know who you are, good sir!
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream