Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Memories

Quote Originally Posted by FireFytingNut View Post
    I was about to ask the same thing Janet! I like that panel!

Barn, I think this is such a sweet, touching story that really personalizes your image to the max!! I will look forward to seeing the end result! It's looking GREAT so far!
    See my answer to Janet regarding the pallette. There are a lot of custom pallettes available in the supplies section of this forum.

Thank you very much for your kind comment on this project. It's a project that really means a lot to me, and I'm doing my best to do the best job I can with it.

I know you'll have an update today.. I'll be around. .can't wait!! Glad your cousin is excited!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by IrishRose View Post
    I know you'll have an update today.. I'll be around. .can't wait!! Glad your cousin is excited!!!!
    1st update of the day Rose..
    Added floor of the front porch, blocks under the house and porch, a portion of the back porch, and water well, and some barbed wire fencing around the barnyard.
    (I'll have to check with Joyce on the well. My memory of specifics on the well is hazy. I was usually more focused on getting some cool water out of it! LOL.)
    Also decided to go with a cloudy sky to hopefully take some of the brightness off the painting, a step in trying to make the place "used".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	three.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	211.0 KB 
ID:	41885  

YouŽre on to a labor of love. It should be great when you get done. IŽd think it must be kind of hard to recapture the memories, and photos never capture those. I quit taking many photos years ago because they never revealed what I remembered. Keep at it!
    The only problem with humor is that no one takes it seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottF View Post
    YouŽre on to a labor of love. It should be great when you get done. IŽd think it must be kind of hard to recapture the memories, and photos never capture those. I quit taking many photos years ago because they never revealed what I remembered. Keep at it!
    Thanks Scott! Very much appreciated.

Latest update....
    For the past couple of hours, I thought this project was discombobulating right in front of my eyes....
    One minute, everything is under control - next minute, I step back and take a look and realize that the house is out of whack. The more I try to fix it - the worse the problem becomes.....grrrrr.... It got really bad there for awhile... LOL..
    Luckily, I had saved a few stages, so I was able to go back and find one that was at a stage where it was more or less "fixable". I was doing some big time sweating there for awhile...
    Anyway - this is where we are at now, even with my hair on fire for a couple of hours! LOL..

Mike

Name:	Four.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	231.2 KB 
ID:	41896  

Last one before I turn in for the night.
    To be continued tomorrow..

Name:	five.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	173.6 KB 
ID:	41909  

Great progress series! You build this affirmative and solid painting by literally assembling the various components!
    Thank You for showing us such a step by step process and Bravo!
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
    Great progress series! You build this affirmative and solid painting by literally assembling the various components!
    Thank You for showing us such a step by step process and Bravo!
    Thank you Caesar.. I normally use a sky first, background 2d, foreground 3rd,etc approach. In this case, I wanted this to be as much as possible, historically accurate, so I needed to do the buildings first. That allowed me to get the distances/sizes right, then work everything else around them.
    I tend to use layers a lot, but treading onto new ground with this project, I didn't want to get almost finished, and find that I had missed something, and have to do it all over again. Putting everything on layers really helped. Aways into the painting I realized that by using the photo as reference, the depth perception was wrong. I was able to just "move" things like the barn, chickenhouse, and tree, by transforming that layer, instead of having to do them over.
    (Downside to using lots of layers - if you do not pay strict attention to being sure what layer you are using at the time, you end up with, for example, parts of the porch spread out among 3 layers on which other things are also used (on layers that I failed to label, of course - creating a nightmare when you want to change things....Trust me.... I know! )
    Last edited by barnburner; 02-19-2010 at 02:27 AM.

Oh, this is awesome!! I'm sorry I missed the updates yesterday... let's just say I'm glad yesterday is over!!! I am sooo happy to see you have gotten this far, it's gorgeous!!! I love how you've done the architecture and have gotten the real 'feel' of the place. Great work!!!! I'll be back