ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: a simple eraser ...

a simple eraser ...

... that erases 100% of the colour and responds to pressure by varying only the size (and not the opacity). So exactly like an ink pen, except as eraser.

Currently in Artrage, both size and opacity are linked to pen pressure, probably for a more "realistic" feel. This is the one Photoshop standard feature that prevents me from transferring some of my "ink pen" projects to Artrage. Thanks for listening!

(PS I previously posted this under Technical, thinking maybe I couldn't figure something out, but it seems that this is indeed not a feature)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I like how looks the soft eraser in your image.

I don't use much eraser ,
    I tried to see what you say ,
    perhaps the rendering is also in function of the tablet,
    I am working today with a bamboo tablet,

with a slight pressure , the instant eraser let some traces on the canvas
    but if you have a more consequent pressure (not necessary very hard),
    you erase everything very clean.

Then , what you want to see is the configuration of your palette,
    the settings for the pressure, some palettes have also settings for the eraser,
    see what you can do on that, I am sure you can have a clean canvas as you want it .

Here are the experience on different settings :
    Last edited by Dany51; 02-17-2010 at 06:55 AM.
    "All are about quiet and light." Dany
    Daily Studio Notes , Daniela Ionesco-Fine Art

I accept critics only from friends,
    how about You ?

Thans Rose, I saw it after I post -it this one,
    I am not sure that I get the whole thing.
    What I retain for myself is using the selection tool for precise areas .

how about You ?

overcomplicating .... ?

Thanks for the suggestions, maybe my description isn't clear. To Dany: You seem to be pressing down quite hard and/or going over the stroke twice, which misses the point, being precise control over width, just as if you were drawing with white.

The goal is to be able to erase with a single stroke that can vary in thickness depending on pressure, but won't vary in opacity, like carving a wood- or linocut. The following images (done in PSE) might illustrate. First, the complete drawing. Then, a close-up that shows some variation in the width of the cuts, but none in opacity. The third demonstrates that the cuts aren't white, but empty on the layer, so that something could show through from below.

All strokes are of course anti-aliased, otherwise I suppose one could do this with color mapping or similar. The point is to be able to just sketch away, not deal with selections etc. Hard to explain, but really just a "simple" eraser tool ...

Last edited by goestas; 02-17-2010 at 09:22 AM. Reason: better explanation

To Dany: You seem to be pressing down quite hard and/or going over the stroke twice, which misses the point, being precise control over width, just as if you were drawing with white.
    Neither one, I just did a simple line for you to let see a good result.
    I continue to think that is about the tablet and the settings.

Also, the eraser wasn't done as a drawing tool, it may have imperfections,
    I tried again and made a stencil after drawing with the eraser,
    well, this thread is not to show a painting, isn't it ? Look just to the traces,
    I did it straight, quickly, if you try more carefully you may obtain better results, no, I didn't have a hard pressure on the pen, you have to experiment and consider by your self . Good luck !

how about You ?

Hi Dany, thanks for clearing that up. That's very interesting, it could be my Intuos 4 then. I'll check it out! Thanks so much for the time you've put into showing me this!