ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: On Art - Voices - An Opening

On Art - Voices - An Opening

Art covers a lot of ground, and that in itself fascinates many of us.

Here seems like a good place to collect bits to piece together a philosophical conversation: Quotes of note. . . a Philosophical Zoom Quilt, as it were.

Please post as often as you like with words that carry a message about the Art Spirit, or the Art Process, or the Art Experience wherein value may be drawn.

I mean how many of us have the greats coming to pass the time drinking coffee and talking about the very subject that brings us together? How many wish they could? So let's do it. Invite somebody who's got something to say. It might serve the conversation if it's something we agree with or we see has value to Art as a whole. Doesn't have to always be sweet. But it would serve this discussion for it to be respectful. Let's see how it goes.

Grab a recording, post a link or a quote and let's fill up the tap with some good conversation.

Here's one way to look at it. No surprises, as it's coming from the Dalai Lama:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qzv0enzJBow
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

"Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Moby on Music, but it could easily cross over to Visual Art:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmpHf...eature=channel

Sean Scully Reveals the Power of Abstract Art:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1W7_...eature=channel

Mrs. Estrillita Karsh on Yousuf Karsh (photograper)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AXmGRoXNws

To paraphrase Carl von Clausewitz, you can say:
    Drawing[Military] is easy and quite affordable to common mind of man. But the paint[fight] is difficult.
    choosing the words, we lose thoughts
    facebook, B, tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by McKlay View Post
    To paraphrase Carl von Clausewitz, you can say:
    Drawing[Military] is easy and quite affordable to common mind of man. But the paint[fight] is difficult.
    Had not heard of von Clausewitz as he is a Prussian military theorist and that's not been my stomping grounds. But having Wikipedia'd him, I can see there could certainly be cross overs between his area and the Art arena. Again, no surprises there.

Certainly when one uses Art as propaganda, it can be like war and moving public opinion and weakening competition. Anything that moves people, I suppose is in that arena. And it's sorta hard NOT to consider Art as having impact on one level or other, whether directly trying to change people's opinions or not. When one is selling their work whether saying anything by it or not, one is wanting to have an impact. Degree and Aim are of issue, for that comparison, no?

also from Wiki:
    "Clausewitz states that Napoleon's tactics were not revolutionary at all and that Napoleonic Warfare did not change anything greatly in military history. The technology of weaponry for the most part remained static, and new strategies weren't developed, but rather Napoleon refurbished old ones, mixing them into one grand strategy."

Seems to me that could be a way of looking at one's Artistic style as well. We have the history of Art. As artists, we can evaluate, absorb and combine artistic ideas of old in our own way. And that's what I think his observation was in general. Just in the military field.

Cool. Thanks for the very valid contribution. It's on us to interpret our world. It's often how we take ideas and how we spin it and make it work for us.

This falls under a heading that I personally don't employ, just as I don't particularly care to employ the philosophy of Machiavelli's The Prince or The Art of War wholesale. It's a different consciousness that has it's place. My wars, my personal challenges are aiming at Peace inside and out.

A military person would look at Art and see military because that's the lens they're looking through. The same stuff is there. All in the direction. It isn't called "The Art of War" for nothing. Were one to take out the "War" one can still find "Art" in the consciousness, in the focus on perfection.

Thanks McClay.

Akey, thanks for the links. Very nice. I am posting an abstract, an study on light and color, which I called A Moment of Revelation, which I borrowed from Mr. Sean Scully, as seen in the link that you posted.

Great one, D Akey! I´m with Father Guido. Be an artist or just retire early (as in, quit your job) and move to another country where the cost of living is much lower. Hmmmm, maybe that sounds like someone I know. Brings to mind that old saw: "I have nothing to do, but I prefer not to start doing it until noon."

Sorry this doesn´t really contribute to what promises to be a very interesting thread--just felt moved to respond.
    The only problem with humor is that no one takes it seriously.