ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Brush Setting for Rending / Greyscale / Speedpaintings

Brush Setting for Rending / Greyscale / Speedpaintings

I have seen lots of Artists who use Photoshop-brushes that have only their Opacity controlled by the pen pressure. It's simple but works very well for rendering and I made myself a setting in ArtRage3 that works in a similar way.

Oilbrush:
    Pressure 15%
    Thinner 41%
    Load 100%
    Rectangular & Autoclean on.

The canvas is set to 0% structure, a bright grey background and a nice size about 2000px.

If you draw very lightly you will get a layering and crosshatching effect. If you use more pressure you will get pasty and solid colours and blending tones.

Simple but effective

I don't know a lot about tones and greyscale yet, but I guess the basic "white" skintone is about 17% black. Any real white parts in skin are caused by reflected light ...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks, that is one nice brush !

I noticed something weird though, with light pressure,and overlapping a few times.Could this be some kind of bug in the program ?
    Just say: "Rage It", because we already know it's art.

My ArtRage 3 and 4 Gallery------My Site ------- BROWSE MY BOOK

Yes, this happened to me, too (You can see it in one of my darker spheres). But not as clear and dark as it appears in your image. Actually I kind of liked it and on my PC it appears only if you layer up a looooot of strokes and also only slightly - but in your image it seems to pop up after 3 layers only. Thats not really handy, I guess :/ It's a bug for sure (a smearing problem perhaps?), but the intensity seems to vary - I have a quite powerful PC and used a big Canvas + big brush, and I had no "transparent" layer, but filled it manually with grey... I'll experiment with it a bit, but I just remembered: It happened from time to time, that colors with high transparency behaved strange when I smeared them...

I don't know if it's already a known issue, but here's what I found out:
    With pressures from 1 to 3 and therefore a very high transparency you get those 100% opaque artefacts in the third Layer of strokes (doesn't seem to add more artefacts in additional layers).

(Thinner set to 41%, Load 100%)
    It does not happen when you set the Pressure to 0 and does not happen with Pressure more than 3. Actually it seems to be strongest with 2%.

If you paint very, very lightly with pentablet youre in the 1 to 3 pressure area quite often, it seems. I did a couple of more tests with pen and mouse. For illustration I used the mouse and a fixed pressure setting.

Workaround:
    Try to paint not too lightly... :/ Not exactly a great solution I know. With my personal drawing style I'm very likely to produce artefacts, when the base pressure is set to 0, but when it is set to about 15% I need to slow down a lot to make artefacts. Downside is that you can't benefit from the layering effect toooooooo much because higher pressure produces less transparent strokes...

Edit: I did another test row. With pressure fixed to 2% and increasing Thinner-values. With thinner lower than 36 and higher than 46 barely artefacts showed up - BUT there is a shift: now you get artefacts with higher pressures. With thinner to 46 there will be artefacts within pressures from 3 to 7
    Last edited by art.anti.de; 02-16-2010 at 01:28 PM.

Hanzz, are you working with the oil panel of AR4 ?!!
    I am no sure that the first settings work the same
    on different panel.

I will show you my oil panel, ink pen panel
    and the brush in the oil folder (couldn't work with the ink anyway)

How about that ?
    "All are about quiet and light." Dany
    Daily Studio Notes , Daniela Ionesco-Fine Art

I accept critics only from friends,
    how about You ?

My bad, I had switched to the pen tool, I was intending to make annotations on the image, I then decided against it,and simply forgot to switch back to the oil brush......You'll get old one day too !

Here's the settings as I got them from the .prs file.

edit: It is confirmed as being a bug,and is being looked into.
    Last edited by hanzz; 02-16-2010 at 08:02 PM.
    Just say: "Rage It", because we already know it's art.

My ArtRage 3 and 4 Gallery------My Site ------- BROWSE MY BOOK

Thanks for sharing this Artantide,
    & Looks like it it's quirky nature can be used to be quite cool tho
    The more hair I lose, the more head I get.

My bad, I had switched to the pen tool, I was intending to make annotations on the image, I then decided against it,and simply forgot to switch back to the oil brush......You'll get old one day too !

Here's the settings as I got them from the .prs file.

edit: It is confirmed as being a bug,and is being looked into.
    Hanzz, is OK, I may eventually be older than you , we all can have inattentions .

I work with a bamboo tablet in this moment and the strokes that I obtain with this shading brush, at the same settings, are different than yours.

I did a sketch with it in a speed way .
    "All are about quiet and light." Dany
    Daily Studio Notes , Daniela Ionesco-Fine Art

I accept critics only from friends,
    how about You ?

Thank you. Very nice indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dany51 View Post
    Hanzz, is OK, I may eventually be older than you , we all can have inattentions .

I work with a bamboo tablet in this moment and the strokes that I obtain with this shading brush, at the same settings, are different than yours.

I did a sketch with it in a speed way .
    Dany, wonderful image. Beautiful combination of colors.