ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: A 3D puzzle painting

A 3D puzzle painting

I'm open for feedback. Hope this keeps the lighting aspect.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3-0 LeslieGulch.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	154.3 KB 
ID:	41745  

Hello Janet

I am very new to art so I have an untrained eye for certain things so I can't help much on critique at all.

I would like to ask a couple of questions about your painting. The painting is from a real life 3D puzzle? What should the main focus be of this image? I see people talk about main focus and where the person's eye immediately goes to first. My focus went to the bright yellow/gold area first. Is that part of what you're wanting to achieve?

I hope you don't mind the questions. I'm still learning

::EDIT::
    Just took another look at your painting. I can distinguish the mountains and sky but what is the red stack in the center and the goldish yellow area represent? Last questions I promise! LOL Take care Janet
    Last edited by FireFytingNut; 02-16-2010 at 02:27 AM.

Good questions

Thank you for the comments. I think you are right in your critiques.

You are right that the focuse becomes the bright yellow area on the Left lower area because of the bright colors. That was not my intention.

The focus was supposed to have been on the red spire. I think it would have been better to put the spire at one of the "golden" points , or "golden proportions" --at the intersection of two lines, one vertical and one horizontal, each one-third of the distance from the edge of the canvas. See the attached graphic.

And to the trained artists in the group, correct me if I am wrong. I am not trained.

The landscape that I was trying to represent is a bizarre one in eastern Oregon, USA in the Owyhee Valley where dark red volcanic ash spires rise from rounded hills of pink and yellow ash from later eruption.

My overall intention was for the different elements of the painting --the spire, the hills , the sky, etc to appear to be 3 dimensional pieces that were fitted together to make the painting. I was using the technique that Juz talked about in short tutorial about making stickers that look 3-D. http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...ad.php?t=26192

I have seen some of your work and know that you have a good eye Fire. So be unafraid to offer your critiques. They helped me.

Janet

Name:	3-0 LeslieGulch.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	154.3 KB 
ID:	41781  

oops wrong attachment

I didn't mean to attach another copy of the painting.

I meant to show golden proportions.

Name:	goldenpoints.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	41783