ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Beginners Question

Beginners Question

I just downloaded the Artrage 2.5 which I think will not be overwhelming till I learn , so at first I have some silly questions.
    I went to play today but I don't know what was happening I use the tube paint and the roler and the paint started to get white more I blended.
    I usually do mixed media background and trying to achieve same effect what should I do for the paint to get thicker?
    I'm sure I will have more questions. I wish we had a place that had online classes for beginners .

Hi Jana,
    YOu need to reduce the thinners on the settings panel for the paint to not go white...(it's actually not white but transparent)
    Try decreasing the thinner and increasing the loading to have more opaque paint..

( & i think this time I manage to give the right answer.. maybe the aliens gave me my brain back )
    The more hair I lose, the more head I get.

Thanks I will try again , feeling overwhelmed already

You'll get it if you stick with it. The overwhelm factor decreases the more you do it. Whether your overwhelmed by the computer in general, the program in particular, or learning how to draw and paint, it all gets better.

Two ways to go at it:
    1) You can do a picture primarily and use it as a way to use the features when you want to do something that the picture calls for you to do. (trial and error, reading the manual/help to get past a sticking point, ask in the forum relative to your specific situation.)
    2) Or you can go in learning a feature (like how to start by choosing a new canvas size, or color mixing, saving etc.) of the program and find a tutorial that uses a feature in order to learn the program, and the picture being secondary. (Look in on the Tips and Tricks section for some really cool instances of this.)

One of the things I found about learning a vastly new program is that it helps to narrow the focus. Many art programs overlap. I personally found Adobe Illustrator an animal unto itself and difficult to learn because the process is different from paint programs (or it used to be when I played around with it.) But going from Photoshop to ArtRage was fairly easy. I've heard Painter may overlap even more. So learn one, you have a leg up on the others. But if you know none of them, then take it slow.

There was a point early on in my education that I didn't know what I didn't need to know. When a program is deep with possibilities, it's on you to bite off chewable chunks. And add to what you know when a practical reason appears. One doesn't need to use every feature every time.

The thinners thing is fundamental feature. But now that you know what it is, you know. It's pretty straight forward in principle. The next part is finding a satisfying setting and paint. Play around with it. It's fun.

And keep asking when and if you get hung up.

Welcome!
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Quote Originally Posted by Jana_NJ View Post
    I just downloaded the Artrage 2.5 which I think will not be overwhelming till I learn , so at first I have some silly questions.
    I went to play today but I don't know what was happening I use the tube paint and the roler and the paint started to get white more I blended.
    I usually do mixed media background and trying to achieve same effect what should I do for the paint to get thicker?
    I'm sure I will have more questions. I wish we had a place that had online classes for beginners .

If you're using the free version, they may be mixing with the background...

Lightbulb tutorials for Art Rage _text and videos

Jana, You may create a new layer before you start to paint ,
    use tube paint for thicker paint.

You have some tutorials here
    and here
    also you have many tutorials on You tube , start with one and can after that
    look to the related videos .

More tutorials in here.

Now , all you need is time to see and read all this,
    I hope it will help you , welcome !
    "All are about quiet and light." Dany
    Daily Studio Notes , Daniela Ionesco-Fine Art

I accept critics only from friends,
    how about You ?