ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: art rage 2 vs 3, slowness...

art rage 2 vs 3, slowness...

so i've been using 2 for a while, and i decided to switch to a new intuous tablet and figured i might try the demo of 3 since 2 does some things i don't like.

Like when using the eraser when i do a stroke it clears the spot i want, but when i lift the pen from the tablet, it clears that area, no matter how hard i try, its like i have to use it like an airbrush carrying it off the canvas to finish the stroke.

it also seems to have a mind of its own changing modes sometimes.

anyway, 3 seems really laggy to me, using some of the more involved tools and a fast zigzag, it takes upto two seconds to draw before it catches up.

any tips before i stick to 2 ?

windows xp pro sp2, quad core 6600@2.4Ghz 3.0GB RAM, GTX 275

Working on 4000x2400 px and above - AR3 lags like hell, especially with layers. I trust in the AR team skills, but for now i'm sticking with AR2. My specs are similar to yours.
    "I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller!"

Most of the time I draw in 4000x4000 (AR3, Mac Book, 4 GB RAM, Intuos 4). And for me all tools instead the water color works well. Water color has a really terrible performance. But okay, maybe this tool is technical to complex ...
    Yesterday I did read the advice in the forum to draw the basics in 1200x? and the resize the painting (4000x?)before you draw the details. I have played around with that technic and it seems to work. It's only a bit unorthodox ... especially if you come from Photoshop.

I'm not sure what the issue with the eraser is, I don't quite understand the symptoms you're describing or what the mode shifts are. The eraser should be erasing along the path of your stroke and finishing at the point where the stylus is lifted from the tablet, regardless of lag (so it should catch up to that point if it did not reach it by the time you lift the stylus).

If you're using a really large image you can get a speed boost by turning off the lights (F5 is the default shortcut), which prevents ArtRage rendering the 3D surface of the canvas and can speed it up. Real Color Blending is also more processor intensive than normal blending and turning that off in the Color Options menu can help.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

In my case, i was working on an image with size of 4000x2400, had 4 layers /basic colors, basic shading, refined colors and blending, pencil sketch on the top/ - at some point i decided to merge all the colors layers, AR3 crashed with Windows Error. When given option to restore the image, only the layer with basic colors on the bottom came up intact, all the others were lost. Good i have the habit to save a lot of versions of the image regularly, so not everything was lost. Now on second try, it merged all the layers without problem. But it's trial and error situation, which doesn't work for me as i use AR3 at work, and time matters. Compared to AR2, which i used for years and i haven't had a single issue, no matter the size and layers - AR3 definitely needs fixing. I don't know what is the reason - both home and work PCs have a lot of "horse power", so thats definitely not an issue IMO. Besides that, when working with large images there is lag when using the transform tool, merging and moving layers etc. Working with lights off /F5/ doesn't cut for me, as it takes all the magic from Artrage. As a traditional artist, i'm a big enemy of Photoshop , and the only 2 programs that feel naturally to me are Painter and Artrage, and Artrage prevails. Working at home at slower pace is ok, but at work when you have deadlines and time is of essence - Artrage needs some improvement. Right now i'm sticking with Corel Painter, but i love Artrage so much and i don't want to give up yet

P.S. In my previous post i didn't make it clear, i'm sorry - when talking about lag in AR3, i mean when using transform tool, merge, move, copy/paste, not the brushes. Painting/drawing is just great!
    Last edited by Borilius; 02-15-2010 at 05:39 AM.
    "I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller!"

my canvas size is 1920x1170

its just the way the software seems to work, it doesn't draw to the cursor, it draws to the edge of the cursor, then fills in when you let go the button or lift off.. drawing is on a mouseup, not a mousedown

if i draw a line with the eraser, it'll draw upto a sharp edge, regardless of how long i wait, then as i lift off at the end it draws a larger area.

it does it with the other tools as well, i just notice it more with the eraser

for the mode change, for instance, my mouse scrollwheel will do zoom, then it doesn't and then something happens and it does.

i'm not really complaining about the way the software works, but i wanted to try ar3 see if was any different in those respects.

I'm getting some serious lag in drawing in AR3, i tried painter 2 and sketch pad, and they're fine.
    Last edited by charleix; 02-15-2010 at 09:02 AM.

The lag on transforming, copying and pasting etc. probably relates to the additional data being moved around. I'm surprised that there is lag during the transform and we'll look at that, at the end of the operation there will be a pause as we shift around the various different elements that make up the painting in addition to the colour.

The stroke not completing until mouse-up is expected behaviour. Basically, ArtRage needs to know where you're going before it can produce the result of blended paint volumes and other interactions of the stroke. If you hold the stylus still, we don't know where it's going until it either moves off the canvas, or moves away from that point. This means that your stroke will be completed on mouse up because we know that you're not smearing paint from other areas or moving in to a blended area that requires additional calculation. We have a couple of methods in mind that we might implement in a future release to present a probable result before the mouse goes up, but the final look can only be guaranteed when we know what the tool has done in any given area (sort of like how you can't see under the head of a real brush until you lift it).

The mousewheel will zoom the canvas if the pointer is on top of the canvas and not on top of another object. It could be that there's something in the way that is preventing the canvas seeing the zoom event. In Studio/Studio Pro we've also had to adopt OS zoom standards and by default the mousewheel will only zoom if Ctrl is also held down, that can be turned off in the Input section of the preferences pane.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Quote Originally Posted by MattRage View Post
    lag during the transform
    Hey Matt, sorry for this /mistake on my side/, what i meant was "pause" not "lag". Sometimes it's short, but as the image grows in size, it takes longer time.

yeah like i said its expected behaviour its just different from what a real brush would do. thats the good thing about computers, you can see things you normally couldn't!

the scroll wheel doesn't always work for me even if i'm on canvas.
    the right click move does.

<01205> 000501EE P WM_MOUSEWHEEL fwKeys:0000 zDelta:-120 xPos:-558 yPos:454
    <01206> 000501EE P WM_MOUSEWHEEL fwKeys:0000 zDelta:-120 xPos:-558 yPos:454
    <01207> 000501EE P WM_MOUSEWHEEL fwKeys:0000 zDelta:-120 xPos:-558 yPos:454
    <01208> 000501EE P WM_MOUSEWHEEL fwKeys:0000 zDelta:120 xPos:-558 yPos:454
    <01209> 000501EE P WM_MOUSEWHEEL fwKeys:0000 zDelta:120 xPos:-558 yPos:454

501EE is the artrage 2 window handle.