ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Dylan Cole - Hollywood matte painter

Dylan Cole - Hollywood matte painter

One of my favorite matte painters to follow is Dylan Cole. He's been involved in a few Hollywood blockbusters...Lord of the Rings and Superman Returns comes to mind...Dylan does most of his matte paintings digitally... He also has a dvd tutorial or two for sale at Gnome...

Please check out his website. Just looking at his works both motivates me and humbles me making me feel like I only have the talent to paint the bathroom wall...

http://www.dylancolestudio.com/

Cheers

Ken

PS: Some examples of his work...

PS: I love how Dylan combines painting, photography and 3D modeling elements in his matte paintings... He uses the 3D models the same way someone would use a pencil sketch and does not texture the model within the 3D app but paints over the object in Photoshop...

This is very cool in that I like the idea of working over 3D renderings. That should quiet the naysayers. Not copying a photo, although it might as well be. Wonder just how that is utilized by the industry since there's not always a lot of point to dressing an existing 3D model. But if he's the designer also, then it may be a way to add a lot of fiddly bits quickly for presentation purposes.

Plus there's a lot to be said about that Syd Mead production illustration look. It creates a cool futuristic flavor that he became synonymous with upon Bladerunner and such. He took his skills from back east in design and illustration out to Hollywood at one point long after he developed his painting chops.

Geiger too with Alien in a slightly darker direction.

I love this look. Thanks for posting.

PS: bet you could do a lot of this with ArtRage now too. Good ideas to explore.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream