ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Re orienting the canvas?

Re orienting the canvas?

Hi,
    While rotating the canvas, as in re-orienting from landscape to portrait I realised that If I use transform all layers command the areas outside of the canvas get 'cut'.
    The only way for me to re orient seems to be to expand the canvas to be a square of the max dimension and then transform rotate all layers and then again crop the canvas to the original dimensions, but now in a portrait format.

Is that the only way? Have I missed out on some simple method of doing it..?
    The more hair I lose, the more head I get.

Have you tried Crop/Expand the canvas under the Edit menu?

I am really surprised that I can make a suggestion to solve something. Usually I am asking the question.

Use the selection tool to make a square or rectangle around what you have painted. Then click on the transform tool, then click on the selection you have previously made. A transform box will appear around your selection. Take the corner handle and shrink the image to a size that will fit your canvas width. Then move cursor outside the corner and when rotate icon appears, rotate the image to what you want. Then grab the corner handle and expand to the size you want.

If you want to rotate multiple layers, while the selection box is around the selection, go edit menu and select transform all layers, then resize, rotate and agang resize.

Hope that was what you were asking.
    Carl
    Last edited by carlcath; 02-15-2010 at 09:13 AM.

Hi Sunflower Carlcath, thanks,
    but maybe I wasn't totally clear..
    What I want to do is to re-orient the painting from landscape to portrait. Now if I resize the canvas ignoring the original aspect the image will distort. If I transform all the layers by using the rotate function whatever that is outside of the canvas (and there's bound to be since it's a rectangle being rotated) get's 'cut' which means it's lost. only the part that's on the canvas is retained..
    So for me to retain all of my image I have to expand the canvas to a square of the max dimension and then rotate using all layer transform and then crop the canvas again, which is pretty round about way of doing it..
    I'd assume there must be an easier way of doing this..a simple rotate canvas 90 deg left/right is what I mean..

Using Crop/Expand The Canvas does not resize the contents of the canvas, just the area on which they sit. You can safely change the aspect of the canvas using that option, without damaging anything inside the canvas itself (unless you make the canvas too small for its current contents).
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Hi Matt,
    I am attaching images to outline what I mean
    #1. is a landscape image
    #2. Is the canvas after reorienting using crop/expand command
    #3. is the layer contents after rotating them.
    As you can see that the image got 'cut' on the edges, the width of the canvas being smaller than before.

So the only way I figured out to was to first make the canvas a square of the largest dimension by expanding, rotating the contents and then cropping it to be a portrait format.

All I want to do is convert a landscape image to portrait by simply rotating the entire image by 90 deg left/right..

I hope this clarifies what I am trying to ask..
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by flyashy; 02-15-2010 at 08:20 PM.