ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Evangelion fan art + Tutorial

Red face Evangelion fan art + Tutorial

I used ArtRage 3 for this work.

1. Using inking pen tool (70% opacity, simple round, no smoothing) to draw the basic shape of the characters. Once it's done, never change the composition again.
    2. Painting background with roller tool to 'kill white'. Make sure there's no blank canvas left. The contrast between foreground and BG will almost stay the same until the end (unless you paint it again).
    3. Adding colours in a new layer. Here I used layer blending mode 'colour' (it changes blue into other colours with the same value), but you can use any modes you feel fit.
    4. Starting to introduce form, light & shadow. This step can go really wrong without notice- so please keep the picture simple and not going too much into detail until you are 100% sure. Here I found something wrong on Rei's face (actually quite obvious when I say it now).
    5. Adding conrast and fixing more forms. You should change the colour of the characters to fit the environment- never change the environmental colour to fit the character! Also decide how to finish this picture: more contrast? more tint? high light? more BG work?
    6. Finish the parts you have not done (I always left their hands in the end). You might need to spend 80% of your time on this stage since there are so many details to do. Background is important as well, even a simple one will suggest the world view.

Whisper, love the picture! Thank you for the tutorial!
    Umberto

You know, I never knew much about the Manga/Anime fantasy world if at all until ArtRage and this forum. My sons never got into it and I was never exposed to it until this forum and the many paintings from other members here. But as time has gone on, I am finding myself being really drawn and my interests piqued with this style of art.

I am particularly amazed with your ability, GB, to create these characters so extremely well. You seem to put so much thought, emotion, energy and a new level of class to this kind of work. Your detailed work is especially noted and creates a greater sense of realism to your characters and the mood you're trying to set. You go that extra mile to show us the steps you take and the tips/advice to take along the way. Bravo! Your work is just wonderful and your contribution with the tutorial is priceless for anyone that wants to embrace it.

As Eileen says: not my cup of tea... but it is so wonderfully drawn and colored, who could not get interested in this marvelleous art...and thank you so much for the extra time spend on these tutorials. It is very much appreciated, i am learning so much about layers, never used them... but reading this tut... i am going to try something on my own soon... thank you again.gb

Wow I love this. Great work and thanks for the tips!

Ah futuristic fashion. Gotta love it.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen724 View Post
    You know, I never knew much about the Manga/Anime fantasy world if at all until ArtRage and this forum. My sons never got into it and I was never exposed to it until this forum and the many paintings from other members here. But as time has gone on, I am finding myself being really drawn and my interests piqued with this style of art.

I am particularly amazed with your ability, GB, to create these characters so extremely well. You seem to put so much thought, emotion, energy and a new level of class to this kind of work. Your detailed work is especially noted and creates a greater sense of realism to your characters and the mood you're trying to set. You go that extra mile to show us the steps you take and the tips/advice to take along the way. Bravo! Your work is just wonderful and your contribution with the tutorial is priceless for anyone that wants to embrace it.
    Thank you for your comment! My aim is to develop the kind of style between oil painting and anime, and that's why I am using painting's way to create cartoon figures. But it seems I still can't loose it up (still too controlled, too detailed). Gotta try harder!

Quote Originally Posted by AT-TA View Post
    As Eileen says: not my cup of tea... but it is so wonderfully drawn and colored, who could not get interested in this marvelleous art...and thank you so much for the extra time spend on these tutorials. It is very much appreciated, i am learning so much about layers, never used them... but reading this tut... i am going to try something on my own soon... thank you again.gb
    Thank you for your comment. I am glad you find something useful from my tut where I only mentioned layer blending mode once..
    Layers can also be used to avoid canvas texture or adding different canvas texture. But the 'bad' side is that it usually takes ages to merge down in AR..

Hi GB,
    this is just awesome!
    Thanks for sharing the steps too!
    The more hair I lose, the more head I get.