ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Art + Squidoo = Money

Art + Squidoo = Money

Just thought I'd share my little dance-of-joy story with you all, as you lot can possibly do the same (there are some awesome artists here, and a lot of you are sort of 'new' online, so I figured this is a good option for many of you)
    I've found a way (quite accidentally) to make money passively off my art, online - without having to worry about people actually BUYING anything!

Squidoo is a site where you can put together single pages - like the pages in a website or a single blog post - and they share their ad revenue. ALso you can make money from direct sales (commissions from Amazon, for example) but that's harder.

Most of you know I have written excessive numbers of pages about ArtRage on the Squidoo site, but I don't believe I've mentioned my other art pages here.

Specifically, these ones, that I put together simply as a way of organising my art by subject in one place - and then ended up doing very well on their own merits (completely ignored by me!) due to lots of people looking for pictures

My Mermaid Paintings and Drawings - this one is actually on the first page of Google for "mermaid artwork" and has been happily since I put it up, and second page for mermaid paintings or mermaid drawings *joy*

My Cat Paintings - also usually on the second page for related searches

Both make me about $2.50 a month each and ALL they really are are collections of artwork. They're also possibly where people are buying some of my Zazzle posters from.

And this week I put Paintings of Blood, Snow and Midnight up - which is MUCH better put together, so yeah, a better showcase ^_~

Anyway, if you'd like to try your hand at it, my points:
    1. Add lots of pictures down the page for people to look at. Don't just put up a couple or hide them all in a slideshow.
    2. Talk about them! People like reading about pretty pictures, it makes them more interesting and you more 'real' and is good for the search engines
    3. Take the time to make it look as nice and well presented as possible - for example, in my last page, I colour coded the borders Also thinks like the menu of images up the top. Obviously what you know how to do will vary, but you can always come back and experiment and improve.

Most of the other 'artist pages' I've seen there tend to be a bare handful of pictures or a slideshow/gallery module with the aim of driving people elsewhere - and are barely worth looking at in my opinion... I'd love to see a few more nice gallery-type pages there!

I'll gladly help if you ask - I've been there about a year and a half now, and made Giant recently and have served as an Angel in the last lot of those, so I know my way around pretty well - as well as what makes a good page!

I've put this page together for the people I've referred to Squidoo, and I'd love it if you signed up from my referral link and I can put you there (turns up in my stats) but you can easily sign up on your own, if you'd rather

Questions? Praise? Horror?

edit: oh yes, and you can send your earnings to charity (many various ones) - a percentage of my earnings went that way.
    Last edited by Flynn_the_Cat; 02-11-2010 at 12:49 AM.

Praise definitely, Flynn!
    I think what you put up here makes a lot of sense, and not just in economic terms.
    I, probably like some others, am weary of making new accounts/blogs/pages etc on the web,learing the new interface of the site, figuring the way around etc and tend to shy away from doing so. I think after reading this I'm going to make the initial effort of setting up mine.
    Thanks for the inspiration!
    The more hair I lose, the more head I get.

Oh good

And yes, I know exactly what you mean... so many sites! But be warned, Squidoo can be addictive. Especially right after payday >.>

Extremely addictive. Also bad for your health. Warning; five hours coding a page to look like facebook status updates = RSI reoccurrence.

My sister better love me for this